Off-topic but local: Stan Waterman to DSU

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Basketball to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Re: Off-topic but local: Stan Waterman to DSU

Post by Hengrad07 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:47 am

dovetail wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:56 am
Cluck U wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:45 pm
dovetail wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:40 am
I think Waterman is an assistant principal at Stanford. Maybe he should not resign that post. DSU basketball and football is a graveyard for coaches.
Uhh...that would be Sanford.

Just a tiny bit of difference. :D

He will go from coaching private school players to coaching college players at a small, local university that struggles to graduate their students (definitely not on Stanford's level :lol: ).

It will be a challenge, and I wish Mr. Waterman well.
I must admit that in all the excitement, I got the little school nestled in the Hockessin highlands mixed up with the big institution on the West Coast. One thing they have in common....they both recruit.
Based on championships, Sanford does a much better job than Stanford in Mens Basketball 🤣
#ProtectTheFlock

dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:52 am

Hengrad07 wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:47 am
dovetail wrote:
Cluck U wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:45 pm

Uhh...that would be Sanford.

Just a tiny bit of difference. :D

He will go from coaching private school players to coaching college players at a small, local university that struggles to graduate their students (definitely not on Stanford's level :lol: ).

It will be a challenge, and I wish Mr. Waterman well.
I must admit that in all the excitement, I got the little school nestled in the Hockessin highlands mixed up with the big institution on the West Coast. One thing they have in common....they both recruit.
Based on championships, Sanford does a much better job than Stanford in Mens Basketball 🤣
I should say so despite a male enrollment not high enough to field a football team and 25 k annual tuition. Impressive.

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:40 am

dovetail wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:52 am
Hengrad07 wrote:
dovetail wrote:

I should say so despite a male enrollment not high enough to field a football team and 25 k annual tuition. Impressive.
Not many athletes pay the full tuition to attend Sanford be it BBall or Lax.

Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:15 pm

dovetail wrote:
Hengrad07 wrote:
dovetail wrote:

Sanford gave up football around 1976...somewhere around there. Dropped the boarding school part a couple years after that as well.

Sanford's best recruit was Walter Davis (Six-time NBA All-Star). That guy was amazing to watch...even back then.
Nice run, Hens! :D

mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell » Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:17 pm

Cluck U wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:15 pm
dovetail wrote:
Hengrad07 wrote:

Sanford gave up football around 1976...somewhere around there. Dropped the boarding school part a couple years after that as well.

Sanford's best recruit was Walter Davis (Six-time NBA All-Star). That guy was amazing to watch...even back then.
Private schools recruit? Oh my!😉

dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:30 am

Cluck U wrote:
dovetail wrote:
Hengrad07 wrote:

In actuality, Davis had graduated from H.S in North Carolina and prepped a year there. For that reason, they were denied participation in the State Championship playoffs Sanford got into trouble with the Independent School headmasters when they were blatantly recruiting under Billy Hoy. They were kicked out of the Independent Conference for two or three years and played a national schedule. Now, they only recruit locally.

Udforever1
UD Class: 1900

Post by Udforever1 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:48 pm

Sanford grad Mikey Dixon, who will be on his 4th school, yes 4th, is in the portal. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t end up at DSU.

Cluck U

Post by Cluck U » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:10 pm

dovetail wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:30 am
Cluck U wrote:
dovetail wrote:

In actuality, Davis had graduated from H.S in North Carolina and prepped a year there. For that reason, they were denied participation in the State Championship playoffs Sanford got into trouble with the Independent School headmasters when they were blatantly recruiting under Billy Hoy. They were kicked out of the Independent Conference for two or three years and played a national schedule. Now, they only recruit locally.

I can name a host of Sanford's recruits and those involved in the recruiting. Davis was recruited...to Sanford. Yup...prep school. So were others. They played a great schedule and finished undefeated for Walter Davis' year. Those games were awesome...a different level for sure.

Coincidentally, I was just looking at that schedule (paper form) and the results last month. Good memories. :D

Davis worked his **** off. Stayed after practice shooting shot and free throws...sometimes for hours. Didn't need much help tracking down his few misses...the ball would swish and make its way back to him. :lol:

Smooth. Sticks in the memory. Seemed almost effortless if you didn't see him working on his craft.

As far as the state and Independent Conference go, even back then the hypocrisy was strong. Public schools recruited (and still do)...and the Indy conference did as well...in all sports.

Hoy recruited nationally, but to think the public schools didn't is silly. Even back in the 70s and 80s, the foreign soccer players somehow ending up living in certain public school districts was hilarious. Today's lacrosse teams in this state have some funny stories, too. Almost as bad as the college transfer portals. :lol:

But yes, the end of the boarding part of the school changed some of Sanford's student reach. Some. It certainly also diminished some of the strangest and most outrageous parties on campus and beyond. Some. :lol:

mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:02 am

Not saying publics don’t recruit…they just don’t recruit as well as the private schools.
Of the 34 school champs this year, 20 were won by private schools and 14 were won by public schools. Of those 20 private school championships, 15 were won by just 6 schools.

mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:06 am

Udforever1 wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:48 pm
Sanford grad Mikey Dixon, who will be on his 4th school, yes 4th, is in the portal. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t end up at DSU.
Looks like he signed with Idaho.

Cluck U

Post by Cluck U » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:55 pm

mpwerrell wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:02 am
Not saying publics don’t recruit…they just don’t recruit as well as the private schools.
Of the 34 school champs this year, 20 were won by private schools and 14 were won by public schools. Of those 20 private school championships, 15 were won by just 6 schools.
Sure...the publics have some challenges. But with public charter schools and public school choice, it is a wide open field for nearly everyone to recruit. If a coach/school can't keep up, well, they need to check their priorities to see if they are on the path they want to be on. Sanford dropped football (over some objections) when they realised it wasn't worth the effort to try to compete. That freed up resources to focus and excel elsewhere.

Of course, if you are a parent of a kid that can play, you want them to go to the best school they can get into...and at a price you can afford (for public schools/charters, that price might mean moving versus a long drive or putting your child into a different kind of learning environment). But it is interesting how scholarships are allocated at some schools. :lol:

Plenty of outside influences as well. Year-round sports teams/leagues are also laden with coaches/friends who magically develop relationships with students/families.

In reality, the recruiting is no different than college.

Oh, and it isn't just sports. Music/arts/language and other areas of educational focus are also examples of how schools, public and private, recruit certain students.

Frankly, it is good for the students to have such choices.

tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:14 am

high school recruiting is a jaded symptom of today's "me" society. It can't be stopped, but it can be limited with reasonable transfer rules in place that don't jeopardize the kids involved. I saw it directly during my years coaching. It was blatant and sickening. :(

edit- trying to find our womens bball recruits for this upcoming season no luck- help thanks
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens