CAA Tournament

Discussion of Men's & Women's Lacrosse.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Lacrosse to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
dchen
UD Class: 1972

Re: CAA Tournament

Post by dchen » Sat May 01, 2021 8:17 pm

Both matchups in this tournament seem close. Both UD and Drexel have to beat their opponents for the second time this season and each win were 1 goal margins.

CapeHen
UD Class: 2019

Post by CapeHen » Sat May 01, 2021 8:55 pm

It really is anyone’s tournament. 1 through 4 have just about an equal chance to win it. As DCHen said, both matchups were decided by a 1 goal margin in the regular season. This will be the third matchup between Drexel and UMass, but the first is pretty irrelevant as it was early in the season and both squads were playing a different type of lacrosse. UMass won that one by 6. Drexel also controlled most of the second matchup. I believe UMass scored a few real late to make the game seem a lot closer than it was.

As for UD and Hofstra, the initial matchup was a wild one. Hofstra dominated quarters 1-3 before UD ripped off 7 unanswered in the 4th quarter to take the lead. Hofstra scored 3 within the last 60 seconds or so to tie it (absolutely crazy). Then, Kurtz scored the OT winner.

Four good teams fighting for a guaranteed spot in the NCAA tourney. Whoever the champ is will be a deserving one. Should be a fun weekend of lax. Let’s go Hens!

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Sun May 02, 2021 9:54 pm

badassmotherclucker wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 7:23 pm
Thursday 5/6 @ Hofstra*

(1) Delaware vs (4) Hofstra 4pm
(2) Drexel vs (3) UMass 7pm

CAA Championship

Saturday 5/8 1pm

*And before the question is asked, because it most likely will be asked - it's at Hofstra because it was determined before the season it would be at hosted at Hofstra, and no. I don't know why it wasn't scheduled at Delaware considering they have a larger stadium.
It appears to me that the CAA just spread the conference tournaments around this Spring in the supposed interest of equity.

Baltimore Hen
UD Class: 0

Post by Baltimore Hen » Tue May 04, 2021 5:05 pm

looks like Deluca has the program moving in the right direction...
In ROCCO I Have Great Concern!

CapeHen

Post by CapeHen » Thu May 06, 2021 10:10 pm

Hofstra vs. Drexel for the CAA title on Saturday. Hoping for a Dragons W. I think they could represent the CAA well in the tournament. Also, screw Hofstra

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Fri May 07, 2021 7:54 pm

CapeHen wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 10:10 pm
Hofstra vs. Drexel for the CAA title on Saturday. Hoping for a Dragons W. I think they could represent the CAA well in the tournament. Also, screw Hofstra
No! Drexel won the CAA Men's & Women's Basketball Chmpinships. They are in position to win the Men's & Women's Lax titles and the Softball crown. Too much success for Drexel which is hard to figure given their limitations. Meanwhile Northeastern has historically done very well in Men's Basketball & Baseball (where they are undefeated in CAA play this Spring). Among other things that Drexel & Northeastern have in common is co-op education which is very attractive to students because it gives then a leg-up on post-grad jobs. I believe it is high time for UD to offer an option of co-op education for all interested students.

CapeHen

Post by CapeHen » Sat May 08, 2021 4:46 pm

Drexel wins.

BlueHenBill you raise a very good point. How is Drexel putting together all these CAA Champion quality teams? One is lucky, but three is no coincidence. The resources UD and other CAA teams have far surpass what they have. At least I would think they do. I don’t know much about Drexel athletics at all.

The good news is, Delaware sports continue to trend in the right direction. Hopefully, we’ll start getting over the playoff hump and bring home some hardware.

dchen
UD Class: 1972

Post by dchen » Mon May 10, 2021 3:43 pm

CAA so tough in MLAX on each other. Only AQ gets in the NCAAs. How do we break out of that? All ACC teams got in on at Large basis as they have no AQ.

drexeldragons10
UD Class: 1900

Post by drexeldragons10 » Tue May 11, 2021 8:40 am

CapeHen wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 4:46 pm
Drexel wins.

How is Drexel putting together all these CAA Champion quality teams? One is lucky, but three is no coincidence.
Simple answer is, the student athletes are now finally motivated with the announcement that our AD is stepping down. That burden has finally been lifted so our teams can succeed.

drexeldragons10

Post by drexeldragons10 » Tue May 11, 2021 8:42 am

dchen wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 3:43 pm
CAA so tough in MLAX on each other. Only AQ gets in the NCAAs. How do we break out of that? All ACC teams got in on at Large basis as they have no AQ.
Short answer is tougher schedules in the OOC, and actually win those games. That is how at larges are earned. Despite the strength, most years the CAA has not done well to pick up quality OOC wins (home or away)

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Wed May 12, 2021 5:46 pm

Drexel Women's Lax lost 14-15 to #1 Seed JMU. JMU got AQ but Drexel got invite to NCAA Tourney.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Wed May 12, 2021 5:49 pm

drexeldragons10 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:40 am
CapeHen wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 4:46 pm
Drexel wins.

How is Drexel putting together all these CAA Champion quality teams? One is lucky, but three is no coincidence.
Simple answer is, the student athletes are now finally motivated with the announcement that our AD is stepping down. That burden has finally been lifted so our teams can succeed.
drexeldragons10, How did Drexel's AD cause Drexel to lose games? Looks like Drexel is having a great year in multiple sports with the current AD. Who is the new AD going to be and why are you certain that they will be an improvement?

drexeldragons10

Post by drexeldragons10 » Sat May 15, 2021 11:13 pm

While it is mostly coincidence that right after announcing he was stepping down the teams all went on runs, fact is he is terrible and has been for over 20 years. The 3 titles this year put drexel up to 7 caa titles. 1 year nearly doubled his total on his way out. He is not an athletics guy, he is a psychologist. One who thought way too much of himself while alienating everyone else. It truly was his way or the highway. Not open to any discussions. He pumped up squash and crew (i.e. elite/privelleged sports) vs money-making sports like basketball. He was nothing short of a clown. I also dont think it was accidental or a coincidence that upon him stepping down donations went way up for athletics. I do think that the athletes got an extra adrenaline boost with the announcing of change. Teams and programs know when they are in a rut. They see when a door opens for potential gains. And in a goofy year with COVID, the stars happened to align. AD is there to give resources to those athletes for success and put people in places to succeed. He never did that, he never showed appreciation to our athletes with any sincerity. I do believe the coaches and athletes were not oblivious to all of it. Good riddance to him.

As far as who it will be? Good question. We hired a great firm to to a national search (like most schools). That is promising. Current coaches have been pushing for the assistant to get the bump to AD. I think hiring from inside would be a grave mistake. We need a new voice, not a comfortable voice. The president not being a major proponent for athletics has never helped either. That part has not changed. I hope it is someone from the outside, but I fear we will promote from within.

drexeldragons10

Post by drexeldragons10 » Sat May 15, 2021 11:15 pm

On topic, Drexel men fell today in a tightly contested game with Notre Dame 10-8 (the 10th goal being an empty netter). Was a brutally physical game where both goalies played out of their minds. Notre Dame had more attack and dominated the x. That was enough. A great showing for the CAA though, despite losing

Scott
UD Class: 0

Post by Scott » Sun May 16, 2021 5:20 pm

dchen wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 3:43 pm
Play and beat ACC teams in the reg season.