FBI - Lafayette

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Big R
UD Class: 1975

FBI - Lafayette

Post by Big R »

As readers may recall from past years, I try to write up my notes and observations from the games I am able to attend using the acronym FBI (for Field, Press Box, and Interviews).

I always try to write up my observations before reading other GoHens posts so that, right or wrong, what you read are, hopefully, my unfiltered, unbiased observations and opinions that are not influenced by outside factors. This does, however, mean that a lot of what I write may already have been posted, discussed, and dissected. So, if you feel that there is not much here that is new material, that is the reason.

Historically, I spend Pre-game and 1st Quarter on the field, and then go to the press box for the rest of the game.

Field (Pre-game and Qtr 1)

Pre-game warm-ups had a different vibe for a home game since this was a playoff game, which changes things that a home team can and can’t do.
Both teams dress the same number of players, so UD’s squad was much smaller than for a regular home game. In reality, the players who didn’t dress wouldn’t normally play anyway – it just looks strange. Apparently, the home team cannot have their band on the field pre-game? Also, the pre-game “hype” video, is one provided by the NCAA (or at least the CAA), so as not to show favoritism to the home team.
I couldn’t get a read on the emotion of the team during warm-ups, maybe because there were fewer players. But I didn’t hear as much vocal hootin’ and hollerin’ as before many other games. I couldn’t tell if it was just a more businesslike approach, or if the players who were dressed were a little more sedate because of all the various injured players who weren’t out there with them. Marker was in a full-leg brace and, although I didn’t see any wraps or braces on OC, he was walking with a bit of a limp.
Obviously, no recruits are allowed on the sideline pre-game for a playoff game.

Quarter #1.
One of the first things I noticed was that TV timeouts were two minutes and thirty seconds instead of two minutes, like in a regular season game.
Nice job moving the ball on the first series until coming up short on 4th down. That really gave LC a pretty short field, but that’s been RC’s modus operandi all year (same as Siriani, and Pederson, before him, with the Eagles). It’s just something to learn to live with because they aren’t going to change.
Initially, I thought LC looked a step faster than UD. It was also evident that they were extremely well coached and prepared. I think their coaching staff will have them at the top of the Patriot League for the foreseeable future - I was very impressed. For the first series or two, I thought Marcus Yarns appeared to be operating at close to full speed, but at some point in Q1 (and I can’t name a specific play), he must have re-tweaked his injury. Minicucci was snake-bit by a couple of INT’s that were not his fault, but the bottom line was that, by the end of Q1, I was just wondering how embarrassing the final score would be. Shame on me!

Press Box (Qtrs 2, 3, & 4)

More injuries – more “next man up”. On defense, Dawsey (wrist) and Ware (unknown) both went out relatively early. The safety / cornerback group played most of the game with Ty Davis, Alex Vilas, A’Khoury Lyde, and three freshmen, KT Seay, Nyair Domnie, and Hassan Manning, Jr., who, I thought, played fairly well.

Vandamia and Arrington have been getting more and more PT in recent weeks.

UD’s second TD came via the 2-minute drill at the end of the first half and was critical for the entire team, and especially for Minicucci’s confidence. I was afraid, though, that the missed PAT might prove fatal if we continued to close the gap in the second half. The snap for the placement was high and, although Kost was able to get the ball down, it might have thrown off Schmoke’s timing just enough to cause his first miss of the year.

I thought for sure that we had blown our best chance for a comeback when we couldn’t score on eight (!) tries from within the 10-yard line after forcing a fumble on LC’s first possession of the second half. Not only did we not score ANY points, but it had to give LC a huge lift to stop us like that. I didn’t understand why we wouldn’t at least try a FG on 4th down from the 3-yard line, but I guess RC figured that, even if we don’t make it, we’ll still have LC backed up deep in their own end. That backfired when we had the ill-advised, and illegal, forward pass play on 4th down that, with the penalty, gave LC the ball at their 26-yard line instead of the 3.

On that succeeding LC drive came one of the biggest plays of the game (IMO) when LC’s starting QB, DeNobile, left the game with an injury. After they couldn’t move the ball and punted, came the drive that, I believe, really turned the game around. It was a 6-play, 73-yard drive that featured 4 rushes for 62 yards (and two passes for 11 yards). It seemed that we really began to impose our will on LU at that point.

Minicucci’s game was a tale of two halves. In the first half he was 6 of 12 for no TD’s and 3 INT’s. In the second half, he was 10 of 13 for 3 TD’s and no INT’s – quite a turnaround, and hopefully, a harbinger of things to come for him in the future.

Post Game Interviews

Since post-game interviews are now available on YouTube, it really doesn’t make much sense for me to recap them here. Here is the link: https://youtu.be/0vwHRNyfLsU?feature=shared

So, instead, I thought I would post highlights from a nice long talk I had with Paul Worrilow on the sideline before kick-off. He was there with one of his kids and is very happy as the D-Coordinator at Sallies because it affords him the home-time he is looking for while the kids are young – much more time than he had as a volunteer coach at UD last year. Having said that, he also said that he really enjoyed his time coaching at UD and, when the kids get older, he could envision returning to coaching here.
We were watching the players run through their pre-game drills and, unsolicited, he offered that he thinks Jackson Taylor may have a chance to make it at the next level. He likes his size, and “the way he fills out his pads” and how he makes his reads and fills gaps. Then Braden Brose went running by and I said that, although I thought getting drafted might be a long shot, I could see him potentially getting an opportunity at the next level due to three specific skills – blocking, great hands, and the ability to find the open areas in the defense. Paul agreed with that assessment, then he had to leave the field. Great guy - we had talked about a few other things, but that’s enough for now.

Summary
I think, despite all the injuries, this team and coaching staff have made significant strides this season. This game is the kind that we would have lost in past years. I was truly pleased for the players and coaches to be rewarded for the work they have put in, and the attitude and culture they are working to develop. It’s the kind of winning culture that many of us recall, and that RC insists we will see again. The foundation is the character of the student athletes they are recruiting, who are driven to succeed. It will be interesting to see how this culture continues to develop, and perhaps even is aided, by our move into FBS.
Mickey to Rocky about SPEED - https://youtu.be/N0GdQyIm7DU
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Re: FBI - Lafayette

Post by 77HEN »

Good write up. I went to the play by play summary to see how much Minicucci ran in the 2nd half thinking that’s what opened things up. He ran 5 times for 33 yd in H2. He ran 10 times overall for 53 yards so a little better in H2. But, I think his runs in H2 were more deliberate and less run-for -your-life type runs in H1. He did open up the O more in H2 (and we did not have the turnovers stopping us). But, if you look at the play by play info, it appears the big run by Jo’Nathan Silver of 41 yards is what really brought the Hens to life. That came out of nowhere on the series that followed the disastrous red zone performance. And Silver had a number of other very good runs in H2. (Finished 76 yd on 7 carries). Then Quincy chimed in and the passing took off.

The first half seemed like a Brocco team where everyone was taking turns breaking down. Total turnaround in the second half where everyone seemed to be picking the team up with their efforts.

So glad we did not lose to Lafayette just prior to announcing plans to move on up. And so excited to see if the Hens can pull of a huge upset this Sat.
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

Good stuff regarding Worrilow, Big R.

Rewatched the first INT…poor throw. What’s His Name had to reach back to get it. Unfortunately, while twisting his body to make the catch, his elbow hit the ground first causing the ball to jar loose. The ball bounced into his chest and then up into the Laffy Db’s hands.

Second INT was odd. Looks as though WHN lost it in the sun…announcer also said that. Good throw…certainly not Minicucci’s fault…it seemed to surprise WHN as he jerked his hands up in the direction of the ball at the last second. Unfortunate bounce into another Laffy player’s hands.

Didn’t replay the third INT…ran out of time.

In any case, our Hens recovered and everyone seemed to get back on the same page. I hope those odd bounces are out of the way (or go our way Saturday). We will need all the help we can get.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Pards Rule
UD Class: 1900

Post by Pards Rule »

Good write up Big R - except please change LU to LC...LU is Lehigh University, we are Lafayette College (LC). Good time at game for sure. Lafayette has a solid 2 year HC (former Pard player, class of 1994) in John Troxell. HOPING we can retain some series with CUSA as these are really barnburner games (if not now playoffs)
Big R
UD Class: 1975

Post by Big R »

Pards Rule wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:49 pm Good write up Big R - except please change LU to LC...LU is Lehigh University, we are Lafayette College (LC). Good time at game for sure. Lafayette has a solid 2 year HC (former Pard player, class of 1994) in John Troxell. HOPING we can retain some series with CUSA as these are really barnburner games (if not now playoffs)
Good point - done.
Mickey to Rocky about SPEED - https://youtu.be/N0GdQyIm7DU
Pards Rule
UD Class: 1900

Post by Pards Rule »

Big R wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:02 am
Pards Rule wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:49 pm Good write up Big R - except please change LU to LC...LU is Lehigh University, we are Lafayette College (LC). Good time at game for sure. Lafayette has a solid 2 year HC (former Pard player, class of 1994) in John Troxell. HOPING we can retain some series with CUSA as these are really barnburner games (if not now playoffs)
Good point - done.
Thank you sir - good flights all today. Where are you changing - I should do a poll - ORD, SLC, DIA, SEA or wow DFW?