Carty?

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
HENJOHN

Re: Carty?

Post by HENJOHN »

Hard to understand let alone believe that after two consecutive playoff appearances and Wins and the sleepy soft culture our Staff inherited, people are calling for his ouster. Need for improvement, absolutely, replace the guy? Laughable. Turnarounds start with Culture change and that's been accomplished
jd of de

Post by jd of de »

HENJOHN wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:58 am Hard to understand let alone believe that after two consecutive playoff appearances and Wins and the sleepy soft culture our Staff inherited, people are calling for his ouster. Need for improvement, absolutely, replace the guy? Laughable. Turnarounds start with Culture change and that's been accomplished
Agree John and the signs of the culture change was evident all 13 games this season. At times we made mistakes or didn’t execute, but I was proud to see us play all-out every play this year. IMO that was a huge step forward.
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

HENJOHN wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:58 am Hard to understand let alone believe that after two consecutive playoff appearances and Wins and the sleepy soft culture our Staff inherited, people are calling for his ouster. Need for improvement, absolutely, replace the guy? Laughable. Turnarounds start with Culture change and that's been accomplished
THIS.

Amazing to watch the reactions of some folks. We have gone to the FCS playoffs two years in a row and have two victories in those playoffs. The players believe in their coach. Everyone is working their tails off to make themselves better…except, it seems, some fans. :lol:

Did we go out and beat the world this year or last? Nope. But, that has only been done twice on the field in our entire football history…and only once at the I-AA/FCS level. And we only made it to the chipper 3 other times (once back in the Stone Age of I-AA and twice under Keeler). Otherwise, we have flamed out against the better opponents.

Carty was 2-for2 in getting us to the playoffs. He also made Delaware football fun again.

‘93 said it best…get a new DC and give Carty a few years to build our new FBS team. New OC? Maybe…but that isn’t the team’s weakness. But fire Carty? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

jd of de wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:28 amAt times we made mistakes or didn’t execute, but I was proud to see us play all-out every play this year. IMO that was a huge step forward.
This is an important element that, IMO, had been missing since the Keeler years. His teams might not have always been the most talented, but they almost always gave it their all.
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Hensfansince03 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:49 pm
Warrior Hen wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:09 pm Carty needs to be replaced as the offensive coordinator or replaced as the head coach.

We need someone dedicated to the overall operation of the team.
We all hope and want coach Carty to be successful. However, with what we have seen from the FCS teams over the last 2 years the lack of HC experience shows. We are 20 to 40 ranked FCS team in the upper half of a mediocre CAA, very far away in talent and game day coaching from seriously competing for an FCS championship, let alone conference USA. Carty also doesn't seem to be one to make quick decisive adjustments to address weaknesses. He has some stubbornness. Would Carty have been the HC pick if FBS was inevitable at the time? Our AD has done a great job so far other than in football coach hiring decisions. With the FBS move we are making it is very important she makes an assessment and gets it right. Carty has 2 years to fill in the extra scholarships and increase the talent to an FBS quality roster. This past year if we played a tougher CAA schedule (Richmond, Albany, W@M, Rhode Island) we would have been closer to 4-4 in the CAA rather than 6-2. We probably would not have made the playoffs. IF we played in conf USA/FBS with the roster and scheme we currently have we would have been 2-9. Would we even have beaten Sam Houston? Prob Not.

Lots of work to do, how confident are we Carty is the guy for the job?
03 congratulations on making the most ridiculous football centric post of the year

Let’s see your list of the 39 FCS teams better then Delaware was in 2023

Let’s see 20 even or even 15
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
Ramblinrec74
UD Class: 1976

Post by Ramblinrec74 »

Our offense needs a better Run/ Pass balance to keep Defenses off balance. I think DiMuzio would be a great hire for OC. I feel we are in good position in our skill positions. Where we are lacking is on the OL & DL. We need some OL lineman with size, speed, and that nasty attitude to control that line of scrimmage, if we are going to survive in FBS. Don't have a problem w/ Manny & his defense, we just need some big fast space eaters up front to make his defense work. We are too small at the nose, and we need to consider at times utilizing four man front against running teams, like New Mexico State in the New Mexico Bowl recently.
Hensfansince03
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hensfansince03 »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:14 am
Warrior Hen wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:09 pm Carty needs to be replaced as the offensive coordinator or replaced as the head coach.

We need someone dedicated to the overall operation of the team.
We all hope and want coach Carty to be successful. However, with what we have seen from the FCS teams over the last 2 years the lack of HC experience shows. We are 20 to 40 ranked FCS team in the upper half of a mediocre CAA, very far away in talent and game day coaching from seriously competing for an FCS championship, let alone conference USA. Carty also doesn't seem to be one to make quick decisive adjustments to address weaknesses. He has some stubbornness. Would Carty have been the HC pick if FBS was inevitable at the time? Our AD has done a great job so far other than in football coach hiring decisions. With the FBS move we are making it is very important she makes an assessment and gets it right. Carty has 2 years to fill in the extra scholarships and increase the talent to an FBS quality roster. This past year if we played a tougher CAA schedule (Richmond, Albany, W@M, Rhode Island) we would have been closer to 4-4 in the CAA rather than 6-2. We probably would not have made the playoffs. IF we played in conf USA/FBS with the roster and scheme we currently have we would have been 2-9. Would we even have beaten Sam Houston? Prob Not.

03 congratulations on making the most ridiculous football centric post of the year

I would say we would finish ranked between 15 and 25, 40 is a stretch....Hard to tell though with who we beat/played. The ONLY team in the top 25 at the end of the season that we beat this year was Lafayette @ 20. The only other team we beat that made the playoffs was Duquesne. The only team we beat that was ranked when we played them was New Hampshire who finished unranked and did not make the playoffs. We lost to Elon unranked, Villanova 9, Penn State FBS, and Montana 2. The latter 3 we got blown out badly and we are not good enough to compete with them yet.

If we had played the other 2 ranked CAA teams this year Albany or Richmond as usual it would be easier to gauge as they are in the same rankings sphere as us. The Hens finished 147 in Sagarin, Montana 85, Villanova 109, Albany 122, New Hampshire 151, Richmond 167, Elon 169, Lafyette 181, Duquesne 214. The best team we beat this year was unranked New Hampshire 151.

I'm not saying fire the guy but I'm not saying I am sold on his ability to get us to where we want to go as of yet. The keeping the same DC and scheme from the previous coach, not hiring an OC, and not focusing more on significantly improving the OL and DL makes me wonder. Hopefully it comes together but I don't think many of us are sold on this hire. This is his first head coaching job coming from being an FCS OC, we are now going to the FBS. Do you hire an FCS OC directly to become head coach of an FBS program, probably not. Has that ever happened? Can he get us to the on the field goals? Before the FBS announcement that was to compete for FCS National Championships, we are not on a level close to that currently. What is the programs on the field goal going to be in Conf USA the first year, 5th year?
Hens79

Post by Hens79 »

No. “40 isn’t a stretch”. It is sheer idiocy. And you wrote 20-40. If you had said 15-25 initially, most would have said that is at least reasonable with the 25 certainly being debatable. Anyway, when folks say idiotic things, I am glad other folks here point it out.
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

I am posting under the screen name BAH-HUMBUG (don’t tell anyone my real screen name).

Carty should be fired and UD should close its doors.

(Logs out of the BAH-HUMBUG account).

Cluck U enters the conversation:

I watched The Sound of Music last night. Hadn’t seen it in decades. Great flick…and Julie Andrew’s has a voice from heaven. Holy smokes…forget piped in music at the Tub…just find someone like her to sing between plays. Imagine her belting out “3rd and fa…a long, long way to run” or “Sew, a pass through the de-fence!” Good memories as I played Kurt von Trap back in 8th grade. Also, the 3rd daughter, who also had a good voice, looks like the girl who was in Lost in Space, which could describe our defense sometimes. Too lazy to look that up.
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS

HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

Angela Cartright Cluck!!
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Hensfansince03 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:59 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:14 am

I would say we would finish ranked between 15 and 25, 40 is a stretch....Hard to tell though with who we beat/played. The ONLY team in the top 25 at the end of the season that we beat this year was Lafayette @ 20. The only other team we beat that made the playoffs was Duquesne. The only team we beat that was ranked when we played them was New Hampshire who finished unranked and did not make the playoffs. We lost to Elon unranked, Villanova 9, Penn State FBS, and Montana 2. The latter 3 we got blown out badly and we are not good enough to compete with them yet.

If we had played the other 2 ranked CAA teams this year Albany or Richmond as usual it would be easier to gauge as they are in the same rankings sphere as us. The Hens finished 147 in Sagarin, Montana 85, Villanova 109, Albany 122, New Hampshire 151, Richmond 167, Elon 169, Lafyette 181, Duquesne 214. The best team we beat this year was unranked New Hampshire 151.

I'm not saying fire the guy but I'm not saying I am sold on his ability to get us to where we want to go as of yet. The keeping the same DC and scheme from the previous coach, not hiring an OC, and not focusing more on significantly improving the OL and DL makes me wonder. Hopefully it comes together but I don't think many of us are sold on this hire. This is his first head coaching job coming from being an FCS OC, we are now going to the FBS. Do you hire an FCS OC directly to become head coach of an FBS program, probably not. Has that ever happened? Can he get us to the on the field goals? Before the FBS announcement that was to compete for FCS National Championships, we are not on a level close to that currently. What is the programs on the field goal going to be in Conf USA the first year, 5th year?
I would say Delaware is around 15 or so maybe as high as 12 and good too see you backed off that 20 to 40 statement.

Actually, I think some of the questions you raise are valid and I don’t think anybody is really “sold”on Carty, but many support him by what we have seen so far.

Do you remember when we used to lose to the cupcakes? Jacksonville, Sacred Heart? We don’t lose to them anymore.

He inherited a team that needed serious upgrades to be able to compete with the big boys at the FCS level and he immediately realized that and that’s what I like about him. The team is just better now.

And all of this is irrelevant now as we are going FBS but yes, Carty still had a long way to go before Delaware was gonna be able to compete with the big boys of FCS, only way to do that would be to become the new JMU. Oh well, on to Ruston
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

HENJOHN wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:52 am Angela Cartright Cluck!!
Good recall on the name, HJ. Thanks...just looked that up. I can't remember names worth a darn, but I remember faces. :D

Our Hens have to channel all of the successful football stories and make one of their own next year. Maybe there will be a movie deal and we can be some of the extras. :lol:

Heck, I'd settle for ESPN's Game Day coming to Newark and us getting our mugs on TV. Need to bring in a solid/historical opponent. How about Navy?
Temple? JMU ( :lol: )? Maybe Army...and they could lead off with the Battle of Cooch's Bridge.

HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

Cluck U wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:11 pm
HENJOHN wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:52 am Angela Cartright Cluck!!
Good recall on the name, HJ. Thanks...just looked that up. I can't remember names worth a darn, but I remember faces. :D

Our Hens have to channel all of the successful football stories and make one of their own next year. Maybe there will be a movie deal and we can be some of the extras. :lol:

Heck, I'd settle for ESPN's Game Day coming to Newark and us getting our mugs on TV. Need to bring in a solid/historical opponent. How about Navy?
Temple? JMU ( :lol: )? Maybe Army...and they could lead off with the Battle of Cooch's Bridge.
She was on the old 60s TV show Lost in Space. Liked her then too!