2024 RULE CHANGES

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
jd of de

2024 RULE CHANGES

Post by jd of de »

1) No more clock stoppage to move chains.
2) NFL like helmet communication.
3) Tablets allowed on sideline & at halftime.
4) Two minute warning.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-college ... 41033.html
UD '01 grad
UD Class: 2001

Re: 2024 RULE CHANGES

Post by UD '01 grad »

No. 1 was in place last year.

Other three "expected" for next year - not final.

Agree that 2-minute warning would be a pure money grab.
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

So, I guess no more silly signs and histrionics from the sideline. Two minute warning? You gotta be kidding us.
hoopster
UD Class: 1993

Post by hoopster »

It’s not a money grab. The NCAA emphasized that the “two-minute timeout” as it’s officially called will not be an additional timeout. It’s a fixed stoppage point that will use the final TV timeout of each half that would happen anyway.
GO BIG BLUE!
93BlueHen
UD Class: 1993

Post by 93BlueHen »

Now if they could just fix the stupidest rule common to the NFL and college: fumbling into the end zone with no recovery resulting in a touchback for the defense.

There is no logic to the rule. Anywhere else there's a fumble not recovered, it goes back to the offense. Fine, if you want to enact some pain on the offense for fumbling into the end zone, move the ball back to the 20, but don't give it to the other team when they were unable to recover it.

Just one man's opinion. Don't get me wrong, I love it when my team is on defense, but damn is that an unwarranted penalty on an offense, especially after a five or six minute 80-yard drive.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Section J
UD Class: 1983

Post by Section J »

hoopster wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:00 pm It’s not a money grab. The NCAA emphasized that the “two-minute timeout” as it’s officially called will not be an additional timeout. It’s a fixed stoppage point that will use the final TV timeout of each half that would happen anyway.
No added commercials?
“I don't want everyone to like me; I should think less of myself if some people did.”― Henry James
hensfan40yrs

Post by hensfan40yrs »

93BlueHen wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:50 pm Now if they could just fix the stupidest rule common to the NFL and college: fumbling into the end zone with no recovery resulting in a touchback for the defense.

There is no logic to the rule. Anywhere else there's a fumble not recovered, it goes back to the offense. Fine, if you want to enact some pain on the offense for fumbling into the end zone, move the ball back to the 20, but don't give it to the other team when they were unable to recover it.

Just one man's opinion. Don't get me wrong, I love it when my team is on defense, but damn is that an unwarranted penalty on an offense, especially after a five or six minute 80-yard drive.
you aint wrong
Los Angeles Harballers
Big R
UD Class: 1975

Post by Big R »

I think Rule change #1 needs to be modified so that there is a clock stoppage during the last two minutes of a half (unless that’s already part of the new rule).

Let’s say your team is down by 4 points and you make a fair catch of a punt at your own 15-yard line with a minute and 45 seconds left. Obviously you are going to try to play “hurry-up” offense. You get a 20-yard completion and rush up to the line of scrimmage. You get everyone set, but the ref doesn’t let you snap the ball until the chain gang resets the chains. You are standing there, waiting for that to happen while the clock tick, tick, ticks away valuable seconds, when every one is crucial.

Eliminating those stoppages are not as critical during the rest of the game, but in the last two minutes? I don’t like it.
Mickey to Rocky about SPEED - https://youtu.be/N0GdQyIm7DU
bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk »

I wish college football would follow MLB’s lead and limit the time for TV commercial breaks. If we could limit the time from 3 - 3.5 minutes to 1.5 - 2 minutes it would be a more enjoyable experience
UD to FBS. I never thought I’d see the day
Jeff Fiss
UD Class: 2001

Post by Jeff Fiss »

2 minute warning? Shucks.