FCS vs. FBS according to Sanders

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
HenZoneNation
UD Class: 1998

FCS vs. FBS according to Sanders

Post by HenZoneNation »

The Dude Abides!
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Re: FCS vs. FBS according to Sanders

Post by Caribbean Hen »

So far this year FCS is 0 for 42 against FBS

42 games with zero wins

I think we’ll get a few wins next weekend though, but something is up. It seems like the gap has widened here over here the past few years. So many FCS teams just looked completely overwhelmed vs FBS and more so than usual

Also FCS losing to Div 2 teams, Div 2 champ Ferris St plays Montana this year… be careful Griz

But the news is not all bad as Delaware is getting better. Our skill position players can match up with anyone in FCS right now. It goes back to what Carty said in the Big R interview when he was asked about the South Dakota St OL. He said he would try to create talent gaps with the skill positions because you can win that way and he is doing it. It’s probably the most candid thing I’ve ever heard Ryan Carty say.
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
Housthen18
UD Class: 2018

Post by Housthen18 »

The FCS increasingly consists of a few programs that are FBS-in-all-but-name (NDSU, SDSU, previously JMU) and a large number of programs that are Division 2 programs in all but name. Delaware is one of the middle-ground, traditional FCS programs that doesn’t have the raw materials to be an FBS program (specifically size in the trenches) but is still formidable enough to shock a bad FBS team. But on the whole I think programs are increasingly going in one direction or the other.
Maineroad

Post by Maineroad »

Housthen18 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:07 pm The FCS increasingly consists of a few programs that are FBS-in-all-but-name (NDSU, SDSU, previously JMU) and a large number of programs that are Division 2 programs in all but name. Delaware is one of the middle-ground, traditional FCS programs that doesn’t have the raw materials to be an FBS program (specifically size in the trenches) but is still formidable enough to shock a bad FBS team. But on the whole I think programs are increasingly going in one direction or the other.
I think that's an excellent observation, and really points up the issue that Delaware is essentially trying to stake out territory which increasingly no longer exists.
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

Maineroad wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:29 pm
Housthen18 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:07 pm The FCS increasingly consists of a few programs that are FBS-in-all-but-name (NDSU, SDSU, previously JMU) and a large number of programs that are Division 2 programs in all but name. Delaware is one of the middle-ground, traditional FCS programs that doesn’t have the raw materials to be an FBS program (specifically size in the trenches) but is still formidable enough to shock a bad FBS team. But on the whole I think programs are increasingly going in one direction or the other.
I think that's an excellent observation, and really points up the issue that Delaware is essentially trying to stake out territory which increasingly no longer exists.
But,hey, remember the FBS teams will need to rationalize their operations and costs and UD, the lovely damsel, will be invited to the ball when FBS comes to it senses. This is the Bros. Grimm tale that’s been repeated over and over again. It will be told to chidren of our children and their children. But, the folks in the AD office are working hard, they’re doing swell.
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

WELCOME BACK, MAINEROAD! :D :D
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Maineroad

Post by Maineroad »

Cluck U wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:09 pm
WELCOME BACK, MAINEROAD! :D :D
You saved me from the abyss!
Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Div2 Barton out of Wilson, NC beats Davidson 33-31 who was 8-4 last year and a playoff team by winning the Pioneer Conference title.

VMI escaped with a last second win over Davidson last Saturday

The Pioneer is just awful.

Bucknell will host VMI today in what is being called the Innovation Bowl
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Well the mighty MAC conference continues to lose to the much maligned FCS Patriot League

Fordham, who lost to Albany in the opener, took down Buffalo yesterday….. nice job to the Bronx Rams

FCS Southern Illinois defeats Mac Northern Illinois

And it took a miracle but Morgan State lost a heartbreaker to MAC Akron…. This after beating Richmond

New Hampshire falls on last second field goal to MAC Central Michiganbut it should be noted that Dylan Laube is a freak…. Just shy of 300 yards receiving yesterday and he’s a RB…. Jiffy Laube have a NIL deal?

Bottom line is the MAC blows

dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail »

"Our skill position players can match up with anyone in FCS right now."

What annoys me greatly about this program is that we haven't in recent seasons come up with the complete package. Some years we have had good down lineman but middling d-backs. Some years we had decent QB's but poor receivers. Other times decent receivers but a quarterback who couldn't get the ball to them. This year we have good receivers but I fear two journeymen QB's to throw to them. The last really complete team we saw around here was 2011, a decade ago.
Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen »

https://masseyratings.com/inter?s=539277&sub=11605

Well
110 games played between FCS and FBS and FCS has only won 4

4 wins and 106 losses

Horrible

21 wins and 7 losses against Div2 teams

FCS getting worse as Delaware gets better as well

Caldwell Chicken

Post by Caldwell Chicken »

Is the gap widening due to the changes in the transfer portal rules? A player no longer needs to sit out one season to transfer to a fellow FBS school. In the case of Devlin and his era, he could continue to play if he moved to FCS. The desire to move down is no longer there if you want to not miss a season.
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:35 am https://masseyratings.com/inter?s=539277&sub=11605

Well
110 games played between FCS and FBS and FCS has only won 4

4 wins and 106 losses

Horrible

21 wins and 7 losses against Div2 teams

FCS getting worse as Delaware gets better as well
Fun facts:

1) Only 16 FBS teams will not schedule an FCS team this season.

2) with Notre Dame playing Tennessee Stare earlier this year, that leaves only USC as the only FBS to have never played an FCS team.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Caldwell Chicken wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:38 am Is the gap widening due to the changes in the transfer portal rules? A player no longer needs to sit out one season to transfer to a fellow FBS school. In the case of Devlin and his era, he could continue to play if he moved to FCS. The desire to move down is no longer there if you want to not miss a season.
Great question Caldwell

I posted it looking for some opinions and you make a great point

It seems really bad, but I really don’t know the results of previous years but I’m thinking this is one of the worst years ever

Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

Caldwell Chicken wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:38 am Is the gap widening due to the changes in the transfer portal rules? A player no longer needs to sit out one season to transfer to a fellow FBS school. In the case of Devlin and his era, he could continue to play if he moved to FCS. The desire to move down is no longer there if you want to not miss a season.
General Caldwell, thanks.

That's one self-evident reason for FCS's general competitive decline. It was easy to see that one coming from a million miles away.

Another is the upward migration of FCS teams over the last 20 years, many of whom often gave FBS'ers their stiffest challenges.

As Mr. Cluck so keenly suggested, another reason for the FCS v. FBS lopsidedness is the willingness of many Power conference schools to now schedule at least one game per season against FCS muffins. That practice may be curtailed in the not-too-distant future.