Are we ready to jump up?

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Info Hound

Re: Are we ready to jump up?

Post by Info Hound »

topstraight wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:03 pm Honest question-- Would UD make the move Alone or would they HAVE TO HAVE another school join them from the EAST?

Is there ANY school (Besides UMASS) who is Willing (and prepared) to move to FBS?

I know W&M, Richmond, and Villanova (FB only) would Not.

Anybody else?
We don't know. The "powers that be" will make this decision. All I know, is that if they say "go", I am fully behind it, and will support it to the best of my ability.
#JUST WIN
RalphD58
UD Class: 1998

Post by RalphD58 »

Info Hound wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:09 pmWe don't know. The "powers that be" will make this decision. All I know, is that if they say "go", I am fully behind it, and will support it to the best of my ability.
Make the jump... CANNONBALL!!!

UD '01 grad
UD Class: 2001

Post by UD '01 grad »

FCS Football
@FCS_STATS
Most FCS Playoff Wins
45 – Georgia Southern
44 – North Dakota State
35 – Montana
28 – Youngstown State
26 – Northern Iowa
25 – Delaware
24 – Appalachian State, James Madison, Sam Houston
23 – Marshall
20 – Eastern Washington, Furman
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

Totally agree, Ralph…definitely time to make the move, even if it’s 10 years overdue. Always interested in your perspective as a former player. How much of an impact do you think even the rumors of UD moving up to FBS will have in recruiting, both high school kids and transfers? I’m assuming it should help us land even more 3 star recruits? And do you think the current staff is pushing that when they talk to kids?
topstraight
UD Class: 1909

Post by topstraight »

Info Hound wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:09 pm
topstraight wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:03 pm Honest question-- Would UD make the move Alone or would they HAVE TO HAVE another school join them from the EAST?

Is there ANY school (Besides UMASS) who is Willing (and prepared) to move to FBS?

I know W&M, Richmond, and Villanova (FB only) would Not.

Anybody else?
We don't know. The "powers that be" will make this decision. All I know, is that if they say "go", I am fully behind it, and will support it to the best of my ability.
I'll answer my own question. IMHO I see ZERO schools in the EAST willing and ready to go FBS. Other than UD.

UMASS, of course is an FBS Independent, and "could" possibly join CUSA.
Last edited by topstraight on Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

finpxz1 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:19 pm Totally agree, Ralph…definitely time to make the move, even if it’s 10 years overdue. Always interested in your perspective as a former player. How much of an impact do you think even the rumors of UD moving up to FBS will have in recruiting, both high school kids and transfers? I’m assuming it should help us land even more 3 star recruits? And do you think the current staff is pushing that when they talk to kids?
Staff can’t tell a recruit we are moving up without us actually moving up. That would be unethical. Who do you think we are, nova?
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
dchen
UD Class: 1972

Post by dchen »

93BlueHen wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:02 am
Gannonfan wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:12 pm Moving up has absolutely nothing to do with success on the field at the FCS level.
Truer words have never been spoken. Some examples:

Boise State moved up in 1996 to the Big West Conference (a stepping stone to an eventual WAC invite in 2001). In four of their final five seasons in the Big Sky, they missed the I-AA playoffs. They had losing records in '92 (5-6) and '93 (3-8).

Georgia State moved to FBS in 2013 after going 1-10 in the CAA in 2012. They have since been to five bowls (3-2).

Liberty was 6-5 for three seasons in a row (2015-17) before moving up. They are 3-1 in FBS bowls since.

Please, for the love of God, get us the hell out of the CAA before Del State is invited.
Wesley beat FCS Charlotte in 2013 and lost by only 5 in 2014.
dchen
UD Class: 1972

Post by dchen »

topstraight wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:06 pm Is FCS (overall) weaker or stronger than ten years ago?

Is the CAA stronger or weaker than ten years ago?

Old saying--"You are known by the company you keep."

CAA FB-- newbies; Campbell, Bryant, Hampton, Monmouth, NC A&T

Schools with enrollment UNDER 6,900>>SIX--with three of those Under 4,000

Delaware--23,281

Stadium capacity

Monmouth-4,600
Bryant------5,500
Campbell---5,500
Rhode Island--6,580

Delaware- 18,500

Departed teams from CAA now in FBS:

JMU
UMASS
Ga State
ODU

FCS NATIONAL Championships:

JMU-2, UMASS-1>>> Both Gone to FBS

Delaware, Richmond, 'Nova---one each

Other current thirteen members>> ZERO
Also add UConn to the list above.
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

Cluck U wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:55 pm
finpxz1 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:19 pm Totally agree, Ralph…definitely time to make the move, even if it’s 10 years overdue. Always interested in your perspective as a former player. How much of an impact do you think even the rumors of UD moving up to FBS will have in recruiting, both high school kids and transfers? I’m assuming it should help us land even more 3 star recruits? And do you think the current staff is pushing that when they talk to kids?
Staff can’t tell a recruit we are moving up without us actually moving up. That would be unethical. Who do you think we are, nova?
Yeah but if the decision has been made and just waiting for the formal announcement, I’m assuming they could at least tell kids that???
RalphD58
UD Class: 1998

Post by RalphD58 »

finpxz1 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:36 pm
Cluck U wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:55 pm
Yeah but if the decision has been made and just waiting for the formal announcement, I’m assuming they could at least tell kids that???
I honestly have no clue. It's a way different landscape than when I was recruited. Kids today have more information in the palm of their hands than we ever did. Like Cluck said, I'm not sure coaches can sell an FBS move as fact, but I'm sure they can make some innuendos.
Last edited by RalphD58 on Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
topstraight

Post by topstraight »

I truly appreciate the permission/ability to post on this board. Hopefully--have not posted too much and have been able to share a few facts and opinions.

Going to try to stay mostly in this thread. If you are in favor of the FBS move>>>I encourage you to e-mail, call, text, whatever--your university president FIRST. They are the ones who usually make the final decision. Also the AD and board of trustees. Don't be hesitant. A lack of contact may be perceived as wishing for the status quo! If you truly love UD football>>>ACT NOW! All these contact details can be found on the university web site or athletic site. Someone could even post those contacts. Just a brief word showing your support for FBS could make the difference.

WHY do I care? CUSA is a good league--but can be better with the Blue Hens. We only have ten teams--which nowadays is too small for much visibility or media content. CUSA is the smallest FBS league (AAC-14, MAC-12, SBC-14, MW-soon 14) We need to be at twelve. And there just are NOT very many good candidates left who have the desire or Ability to move up. Other top candidates for CUSA are Missouri St., EKU, UMASS, SFA, and Tarleton. Some of those would join Today--IF asked. I really think we will stick at Twelve teams. I Favor Delaware and UMASS as a pair.

If you really want FBS--CONTACT UD TODAY!!
Housthen18
UD Class: 2018

Post by Housthen18 »

Glad to see that at least some CUSA fans find the prospect of us entering exciting. I agree, topstraight, that Delaware entering CUSA will be mutually beneficial. The fact that these rumors have you (who I believe are based in Kentucky) posting about the U of D is itself proof of the broader national exposure the move would bring.

As I have said before, focusing on wins/losses to determine whether we're ready to jump up is the tail wagging the dog. Player talent is the best indicator of success, and recruiting ain't getting any easier in the era of modern technology, nationally-televised FBS games, and NIL. It's not the 90s anymore where you can get a blue chip recruit to sign at the local FCS school because of proximity. UD is not going to substantially level up its recruiting to the point where it has an FBS caliber roster. You get an FBS caliber roster by going FBS.
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

topstraight,

Our UD President would not make the final decision. He can do the legwork and come up with a recommendation…but the BOT would need to approve a final decision of this size and impact.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
93BlueHen
UD Class: 1993

Post by 93BlueHen »

Cluck U wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:53 pm topstraight,

Our UD President would not make the final decision. He can do the legwork and come up with a recommendation…but the BOT would need to approve a final decision of this size and impact.
And much like a bot, our BOT is rarely seen, understood, diplomatic, or particularly likeable.

But I'm willing to let them surprise me in a positive way on this subject.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
topstraight

Post by topstraight »

Cluck U wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:53 pm topstraight,

Then I would kindly suggest to contact (by whatever means) your BOT if you want FBS.

IT takes three:

--UD interest in going FBS

-- CUSA interest in UD

--UD willingness to take CUSA invite