Are we ready to jump up?

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Re: Are we ready to jump up?

Post by Hengrad07 »

tomdawg00022 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:36 am
topstraight wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:50 pm
UD '01 grad wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:22 pm Future CUSA rival New Mexico State beat Auburn by 21 today and collected a $1.8 million check in the process.
Details:

Auburn was 6-4 playing at home.

NMSU is probably the THIRD best team in CUSA this year.

JAX State almost beat Auburn this season(Had game won).

CUSA is a Good league.
Liberty, NMSU, and Jax State are good teams. Western Kentucky is ok. Rest of the league is probably equivalent to the middle of the Missouri Valley.

It's not a "good" league by FBS standards but it has 3 good teams (2 of which are headed by former B1G coaches and Chadwell probably will be a P4 coach soon.)

We probably are a middle of the pack-ish CUSA team this year based on Massey and other metrics.
When was the last time UD made a deep run in the FCS fall tournament? 😬
#JustWinBaby
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

UD '01 grad wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:22 pm Future CUSA rival New Mexico State beat Auburn by 21 today and collected a $1.8 million check in the process.
Details:

CUSA is a Good league.
Liberty, NMSU, and Jax State are good teams. Western Kentucky is ok. Rest of the league is probably equivalent to the middle of the Missouri Valley.

It's not a "good" league by FBS standards but it has 3 good teams (2 of which are headed by former B1G coaches and Chadwell probably will be a P4 coach soon.)

We probably are a middle of the pack-ish CUSA team this year based on Massey and other metrics.
What?

We are not a mid-pack CUSA team. Stop. On our best day, we might pull an upset over a lower tier CUSA team, but we are not built to beat FBS teams of any calibre.

Cripes, has anyone actually watched our line play? Mind boggling statements by some fans regarding our Hens beating other teams. We have a coach who says our OL doesn’t have to be good enough to block for any true length of time…because our skill players are descendants of Bartholomew Henry Allen. Carty helped win a natty because Keeler demanded that his team get bigger and better on both sides of the line. Otherwise, the finesse and trickery would have failed (and that Sammy team was loaded with size, power and speed…so they did plow forward for several key plays.

Name a national championship team that relied on soft lines. We are soft on both sides of the ball. We have 6 DBs (not big LBs…lighter DBs)…physics alone says we aren’t stopping a power run game.

By the way, Sammy was at the bottom of CUSA. They finished 2-9 and 1-6. All but one of their losses we by less than two scores. Jax State a good team? Well, Sammy lost in OT after Jax scored a tying TD with 14 seconds left. Liberty a good team? Sammy lost 21-16. New Mexico Stare a good team? Sammy lost 27-13. Sammy lost several other heartbreakers in OT and in the 4th Q. They were in every game except the Houston game. Just couldn’t get it done. But they have a lot more talent across the board than our Hens. Schollies make a difference.

If we move up, we can be competitive pretty quickly. Carty has gotten 8 wins in each of his first two seasons. With extra schollies and the lure of FBS, we could attract better players.

But…we ain’t there yet.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
tomdawg00022

Post by tomdawg00022 »

Hengrad07 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:03 am When was the last time UD made a deep run in the FCS fall tournament? 😬
Been way too long if we're honest about it.

We've only been to the playoffs, period...5 times (including this year) since the 2007 title game run?
bluehens2005
UD Class: 2005

Post by bluehens2005 »

Cluck U wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:15 am

Details:

CUSA is a Good league.

What?

We are not a mid-pack CUSA team. Stop. On our best day, we might pull an upset over a lower tier CUSA team, but we are not built to beat FBS teams of any calibre.

Cripes, has anyone actually watched our line play? Mind boggling statements by some fans regarding our Hens beating other teams. We have a coach who says our OL doesn’t have to be good enough to block for any true length of time…because our skill players are descendants of Bartholomew Henry Allen. Carty helped win a natty because Keeler demanded that his team get bigger and better on both sides of the line. Otherwise, the finesse and trickery would have failed (and that Sammy team was loaded with size, power and speed…so they did plow forward for several key plays.

Name a national championship team that relied on soft lines. We are soft on both sides of the ball. We have 6 DBs (not big LBs…lighter DBs)…physics alone says we aren’t stopping a power run game.

By the way, Sammy was at the bottom of CUSA. They finished 2-9 and 1-6. All but one of their losses we by less than two scores. Jax State a good team? Well, Sammy lost in OT after Jax scored a tying TD with 14 seconds left. Liberty a good team? Sammy lost 21-16. New Mexico Stare a good team? Sammy lost 27-13. Sammy lost several other heartbreakers in OT and in the 4th Q. They were in every game except the Houston game. Just couldn’t get it done. But they have a lot more talent across the board than our Hens. Schollies make a difference.

If we move up, we can be competitive pretty quickly. Carty has gotten 8 wins in each of his first two seasons. With extra schollies and the lure of FBS, we could attract better players.

But…we ain’t there yet.
+1,000,000 I was sitting in the lower level field seats yesterday and the players you can clearly see the difference in the size, line play when you are that close. Nova looked
Like we did before the lost decade plus on the lines. I don’t see how next year will be any different unless Carty realizes and somehow convinces some decent line transfers yarns looked average our o-line could
Not create gaps for him because they were playing a superior team end if story. No I don’t think Nova will win the natty but think they will win a couple games for sure. Us on the other hand I can’t get excited for the playoffs based on what I just saw yesterday we looked worse than last year and our out coached as always against them…
tomdawg00022

Post by tomdawg00022 »

Cluck U wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:15 am What?

Outside of the top 3 in CUSA, the league falls off hard:

* Western Kentucky, 6-5
* Middle Tennessee, 4-7
* FIU, 4-7
* UTEP, 3-8
* Louisiana Tech, 3-9
* Sam Houston, 2-9

Saying we're middle of the pack-ish means we'd probably beat the bottom 3 or 4 in the league. Which I don't think is unreasonable. The FIU's, UTEPs, and Louisiana Techs of the world are glorified FCS squads. Sam Houston is basically that in transition this year.

Sam Houston with a competent offense this year would probably have won 5 or 6 games, especially given how tough they played everyone.

Are the Hens a 4-8/5-7 team in Conference USA? It's do-able. Most metrics (Massey, etc.) have us ranked in the MTSU/UTEP area of the league. I don't think it's unreasonable at all.

Even with yesterday's "no show" aside (and I think had guys not dropped like flies during the game, we'd probably lose to Nova but in a much closer game), the difference between the CUSA and the top 25-30 teams in FCS is tiny. I don't think people realize that Conference USA and MAC aren't very good leagues in FBS.
tomdawg00022

Post by tomdawg00022 »

Massey ratings of CUSA teams (and Delaware)

Liberty 39
Jax St 92
NMSU 93
WKU 95
MTSU 126
Delaware 134
UTEP 144
Sam Houston 156
Louisiana Tech 159
FIU 162
UDEL Fear the Bird

Post by UDEL Fear the Bird »

tomdawg00022 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:36 am
Cluck U wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:15 am What?

Outside of the top 3 in CUSA, the league falls off hard:

* Western Kentucky, 6-5
* Middle Tennessee, 4-7
* FIU, 4-7
* UTEP, 3-8
* Louisiana Tech, 3-9
* Sam Houston, 2-9

Saying we're middle of the pack-ish means we'd probably beat the bottom 3 or 4 in the league. Which I don't think is unreasonable. The FIU's, UTEPs, and Louisiana Techs of the world are glorified FCS squads. Sam Houston is basically that in transition this year.

Sam Houston with a competent offense this year would probably have won 5 or 6 games, especially given how tough they played everyone.

Are the Hens a 4-8/5-7 team in Conference USA? It's do-able. Most metrics (Massey, etc.) have us ranked in the MTSU/UTEP area of the league. I don't think it's unreasonable at all.

Even with yesterday's "no show" aside (and I think had guys not dropped like flies during the game, we'd probably lose to Nova but in a much closer game), the difference between the CUSA and the top 25-30 teams in FCS is tiny. I don't think people realize that Conference USA and MAC aren't very good leagues in FBS.
Can we stop talking about the Massey ratings? We would be a 2 win team in Conference USA this year just like Sam Houston. The gap between the lower tier of FBS and FCS in general is getting wider due to players not having to sit out a year after transferring the first time and NIL. Keeler was able to get in a ton of FBS transfers due to the rules at that time. There is no way with today’s rules guys like Flacco or Devlin come to UD. Now we get hardly any FBS transfers each year.
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Massey? :lol:

Forget what we saw on the field yesterday (something called reality). I guess we should petition the Playoff Selection Committee to void yesterday’s results because Massey said we were 3 points better than nova. :lol:

How’d that turn out?

Good grief. Does anyone actually watch football for football or is it all about the gambling sponsored talk show “observations“.

A while back, Lil’ Cluck showed me a website that theoretically pitted different animals (past and present) against each other. Crazy match ups that made no sense…but they sure got clicks and inspired a lot of arguments on the comment sections.

Massey. :lol:
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS

Attila the Hen

Post by Attila the Hen »

It would seem Cluck gets triggered by Massey baiters.
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Attila the Hen wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:47 am It would seem Cluck gets triggered by Massey baiters.
Before yesterday’s loss, Massey had Delaware 5-3 vs CUSA teams …. Take that for what you will

CUSA is bad, especially the bottom dwellers

Good grief stinking Maine had FIU beat until they remembered they were Maine
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Attila the Hen wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:47 am It would seem Cluck gets triggered by Massey baiters.
Nah, just needed to get a plug in for those fighting animals websites. :lol:

Had another line about bazillion thread count cotton sheets, but couldn’t quite work it in. I’m working on it, though, so stay tuned. :lol:

Steve1981
UD Class: 1981

Post by Steve1981 »

My 2 cents, but may have a dog in this fight. If you have an offer to jump, you are ready. No one could be as ill prepared to jump or mis-managed more than UMass. We are ahead of 4 CUSA teams according to Massey. My feeling is CUSA is recovery from near extinction and will continue to build. https://masseyratings.com/ranks
Jaxhen1
UD Class: 1974

Post by Jaxhen1 »

bluehens2005 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:29 am
+1,000,000 I was sitting in the lower level field seats yesterday and the players you can clearly see the difference in the size, line play when you are that close. Nova looked
Like we did before the lost decade plus on the lines. I don’t see how next year will be any different unless Carty realizes and somehow convinces some decent line transfers yarns looked average our o-line could
Not create gaps for him because they were playing a superior team end if story. No I don’t think Nova will win the natty but think they will win a couple games for sure. Us on the other hand I can’t get excited for the playoffs based on what I just saw yesterday we looked worse than last year and our out coached as always against them…
Our lines are not small. Our OL averages well over 300 pounds. The problem is not the individual size of our DL but the collective weight of our defense. I’m not a fan of the 3-2-6 alignment, especially against power running teams. They were gouging us up the middle. Also, Yarns ran for nearly 100 yards at an average of 5.4 yards per carry and he was coming off an injury. He was better than average in my opinion. Our line was struggling to open up running lanes for him but once our starting two QBs went out, Villanova could concentrate more on stopping the run knowing our passing attack would be more limited.
topstraight
UD Class: 1909

Post by topstraight »

Cluck U wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:30 am Massey? :lol:

Forget what we saw on the field yesterday (something called reality). I guess we should petition the Playoff Selection Committee to void yesterday’s results because Massey said we were 3 points better than nova. :lol:

How’d that turn out?

Good grief. Does anyone actually watch football for football or is it all about the gambling sponsored talk show “observations“.

A while back, Lil’ Cluck showed me a website that theoretically pitted different animals (past and present) against each other. Crazy match ups that made no sense…but they sure got clicks and inspired a lot of arguments on the comment sections.

Massey. :lol:
Join CUSA and you will find out just where you fall. GOOD FBS transfers are Not coming to fcs schools like Delaware.
dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail »

Very true and good FCS players move out.