Board of Trustees meeting-12/5

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
jcaruch
UD Class: 1991

Board of Trustees meeting-12/5

Post by jcaruch »

dchen
UD Class: 1972

Re: Board of Trustees meeting-12/5

Post by dchen »

I looked at the agenda and minutes of the last two meetings which are held in May and December. No mention of FBS reclassification. Approval to proceed was likely held in Executive Commitee meetings (Board officers but not regular members).
gonzo
UD Class: 2005

Post by gonzo »

I think a pertinent question would be...where there any real opportunities to move to a FBS conference in the past that wouldn't have cost a $6M entry fee?

I'm happy to be in the C-USA, but I feel like this move was only made because of the changing landscape of the Power 4 conferences. I fully expect a power 4 playoff or separation from the rest of the FBS schools and if you're in FCS when that happens, what's the point of even fielding a team
jd of de

Post by jd of de »

Look back at the changes in the athletic department, then ask yourself if the move being announced today is a kneejerk reaction to JMU moving up or the announcement that Bryant was being added as a CAA football member.

1) Full-funding of football scholarships.
2) Adding turf to the field house and having an indoor practice facility.
3) The BOB annex.
4) The end of depending on the Carpenter family to pay for everything and actively seeking donations from all UD / Blue Hen supporters.
5) The Whitney and west side stands.
6) A SID department that was Scott S and some interns, to two full rooms of paid sports SID's
7) A multi-media department that was Jimmy Smith and his intern Nina, to again two full rooms of paid multi-media folks.
8 And on and on and on. We had to look and act like a FBS athletic department, not a DII, before anyone was going to give us an invitation.

The work to make today happen started a long time ago. To move up two things have always been true; you could not do so on your own, you had to be invited. And second, you had to make yourself attractive to receive that invitation.

We did not seek a FBS invitation as a kneejerk reaction in the past year or two years and you won't find BOT approval in the minutes of the past couple of meetings. Chrissi said years ago there was a plan, has stated a number of time that North campus was on board with the next step and today part of the plan comes to fruition.
Ramblinrec74
UD Class: 1976

Post by Ramblinrec74 »

I still beleive that it is a knee jerk reaction. They should have waited to try to get invitation to the Sun Belt conference, which has alot of our previous opponents, and rivalries would be restarted! Travel costs would be less, fans would be able to travel to away games, and it would be less stressful o0n the student athlete! I feel that this decision did not include looking at the fact, that this excessive travel in Conf. USA, will effect the student athlete, their studies, and their families!
bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk »

Ramblinrec74 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:14 am I still beleive that it is a knee jerk reaction. They should have waited to try to get invitation to the Sun Belt conference, which has alot of our previous opponents, and rivalries would be restarted! Travel costs would be less, fans would be able to travel to away games, and it would be less stressful o0n the student athlete! I feel that this decision did not include looking at the fact, that this excessive travel in Conf. USA, will effect the student athlete, their studies, and their families!
There was not a Sun Belt invite coming soon, if at all. Probably would’ve had to wait and react to further realignment dominoes to fall, they already have 14 teams. UD will now be in better shape to get there In the future as a FBS team if it comes up.
UD to FBS. I never thought I’d see the day
mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell »

jd of de wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:54 am Look back at the changes in the athletic department, then ask yourself if the move being announced today is a kneejerk reaction to JMU moving up or the announcement that Bryant was being added as a CAA football member.

3) The BOB annex.
4) The end of depending on the Carpenter family to pay for everything and actively seeking donations from all UD / Blue Hen supporters.
6) A SID department that was Scott S and some interns, to two full rooms of paid sports SID's
7) A multi-media department that was Jimmy Smith and his intern Nina, to again two full rooms of paid multi-media folks.
8 And on and on and on. We had to look and act like a FBS athletic department, not a DII, before anyone was going to give us an invitation.

The work to make today happen started a long time ago. To move up two things have always been true; you could not do so on your own, you had to be invited. And second, you had to make yourself attractive to receive that invitation.

We did not seek a FBS invitation as a kneejerk reaction in the past year or two years and you won't find BOT approval in the minutes of the past couple of meetings. Chrissi said years ago there was a plan, has stated a number of time that North campus was on board with the next step and today part of the plan comes to fruition.
Well stated, JD.
Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 »

jd of de wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:54 am Look back at the changes in the athletic department, then ask yourself if the move being announced today is a kneejerk reaction to JMU moving up or the announcement that Bryant was being added as a CAA football member.

3) The BOB annex.

All of the above is basically true, but it is probably over done a little to think there was a master plan to be in FBS until very, very recently. It was just a couple of years ago, where the AD “would have been laughed out of the room” for bringing up FBS to the BOT. Also, things like the ancient stadium needed to be upgraded and surely the training facilities did too no matter if there was a soon to be FBS move. I actually believe the west stands upgrade was underdone a little, and now with CUSA here it probably is.

There is no sense arguing over the definition of “knee jerk”, but IMO the gargantuan changes in college football in the last two years have likely sped up the FBS process. A move needed to be done ASAP and CUSA is a decent landing spot. The upgrades/changes jd mentioned allowed UD to pull the trigger now.

The reason I like CUSA, in addition to just being FBS and the higher profile for athletics and the university it brings, is that I feel it won’t be our final destination. I wouldn’t feel that confident with the MAC. And regarding the Sun Belt, if there was an invitation, UD would have surely taken it.

UD needed to make the move now. Just thrilled they did.
Info Hound

Post by Info Hound »

Hens79 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:26 am

3) The BOB annex.

All of the above is basically true, but it is probably over done a little to think there was a master plan to be in FBS until very, very recently. It was just a couple of years ago, where the AD “would have been laughed out of the room” for bringing up FBS to the BOT. Also, things like the ancient stadium needed to be upgraded and surely the training facilities did too no matter if there was a soon to be FBS move. I actually believe the west stands upgrade was underdone a little, and now with CUSA here it probably is.

There is no sense arguing over the definition of “knee jerk”, but IMO the gargantuan changes in college football in the last two years have likely sped up the FBS process. A move needed to be done ASAP and CUSA is a decent landing spot. The upgrades/changes jd mentioned allowed UD to pull the trigger now.

The reason I like CUSA, in addition to just being FBS and the higher profile for athletics and the university it brings, is that I feel it won’t be our final destination. I wouldn’t feel that confident with the MAC. And regarding the Sun Belt, if there was an invitation, UD would have surely taken it.

UD needed to make the move now. Just thrilled they did.
Agree with all of the what JD and 79 said here. The recent CAA additions certainly threw fuel on the embers that were starting to warm up. We could not stay with that group. There was no other choice. Brilliant of Chrissi to get that CAA waiver for our other teams.

As an added thought, a big "thank you" to Joey D. is probably appropriate.
Last edited by Info Hound on Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
#JUST WIN
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

There was no firm FBS plan when Chrissi arrived. Zip.

There was, however, an agreement that athletics could be/should be seen as a front porch for a university’s profile. Thus, the facilities upgrades.

All of this was public knowledge…no secret back door pass needed. The BOT was not looking towards FBS football.

The good news is that things change. Always. Once the dominoes started falling, Chrissi masterfully positioned UD to be in a position to take advantage of those changes. A bit late…as in $4,995,000 late…but better than never.

And…the fans had a say in it (not just the ones on this board). Chrissi has reached out and listened. Great job…and a complete reversal of the Harker years.

Woot!
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hengrad07 »

UD felt they had to move…

That said, does anyone actually believe CUSA was the “1st Choice”? I actually believe it was the “Only Choice”… CR and Assanis will NEVER admit it publicly! Mid-Week games & 11+ hour drives will discourage fans in supporting the teams both home & away.

I watch a lot of CFB & the small crowds in attendance at both CUSA & MAC MID-week games will soon become the norm
in Newark!

I am looking very much forward to KCK’s return to DE Stadium!
#JustWinBaby
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Good grief…folks, we are in the doors.

As stuff changes (and it will), we are much better positioned to make another move.

Mid-week games? What is that going to interrupt? Knitting club? CSIWhatever? Taco Tuesdays at 2SP? <—-OK…I can see why that would be a problem. Maybe get a to-go plate for the tailgate.

The students are going to like having their mugs on ESPN. Chrissi & Co. need to make sure our camera crew focuses a lot more on the student section in the 3rd and 4th quarters so that students have an incentive to stick around a bit longer.

Train’s rolling. Get on board.

Choo-choo!
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

Hengrad07 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:06 amI watch a lot of CFB & the small crowds in attendance at both CUSA & MAC MID-week games will soon become the norm in Newark!
Not a point even worth considering for a second. Three of the most important home games in the last 13 seasons at the stadium (playoff games!) drew a COLLECTIVE 13K fans in Newark. Bellyaching about what could potentially happen on a Wednesday night in 2025 seems really silly at this stage, given the alternative.

The quality of CAA FB was absolutely crushing interest in Blue Hen football. If you haven't noticed that, I really don't know what to tell you.

There were simply no other options on the table to stop the bleeding. The choice was CUSA now or continue to watch fan interest dwindle in the CAA. The MAC was clearly not an option. The Sun Belt was not an option.

If they could have made any choice, I'm certain UD would love to be associated with schools in the ACC. Maybe that could happen someday in the distant future. For now, Delaware has to develop its athletic national brand at the next level. CUSA is our vehicle to do that. No other conference offered that option.
tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen »

Hengrad07 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:06 am UD felt they had to move…

That said, does anyone actually believe CUSA was the “1st Choice”? I actually believe it was the “Only Choice”… CR and Assanis will NEVER admit it publicly! Mid-Week games & 11+ hour drives will discourage fans in supporting the teams both home & away.

I watch a lot of CFB & the small crowds in attendance at both CUSA & MAC MID-week games will soon become the norm
in Newark!

I am looking very much forward to KCK’s return to DE Stadium!
Bingo- No way would CUSA be a good choice other than at the present time(too late)there was "no other left to us" :(
The geographic footprint is not pleasant, and I feel for the players in minor sports :(
With the lack of foresight/caring by the BOT, we're left with "no other choice" or a downhill slide with the CAA :(
So- short term pain for long term improvements- c'est la vie
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

tenn hen wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:14 pm The geographic footprint is not pleasant, and I feel for the players in minor sports :(
With the lack of foresight/caring by the BOT, we're left with "no other choice" or a downhill slide with the CAA :(
Not sure what you would expect. Every G5 conference would require UD to board airlines multiple times per season. Geography seems to matter less in D-I conferences these days, in case you haven't noticed. For a school seeking to market itself and its sports programs beyond the mid-Atlantic region, CUSA offers an advantage. President Assanis mentioned Miami and Texas specifically.

As for the "minor sports", there are seven and possibly a new eighth sport that will likely land UD affiliate membership in an eastern-based conference requiring fewer flights and closer journeys than the CAA's Boston-to-Charleston spread.