CUSA - Press Conference

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
DSUrocks07

Re: CUSA - Press Conference

Post by DSUrocks07 »

77HEN wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:42 am
93BlueHen wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:39 am Chrissi states in press conference that UD can move to 85 scholarships now, but will not field more than 63 scholarships when playing CAA teams next year per agreement with the CAA. Defered to her underlings on how that will work.
Yeah, that’s a really strange arrangement. Seems they have a lot to work out on that.

Our AD said they’re gettting a lot of calls showing interest in scheduling football.
Likely an extra 22 redshirts are going out for next season prior to the first CAA game.
Adopting UD as my new fandom school, but everyone remembers me as the DSU guy. :lol: :lol: :lol:
mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell »

Sally in RI wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:50 am It sounded like the leak prompted the announcement. I wonder when it would have happened without it.

Sally in RI
CUSA Commissioner and others visited UD campus about two weeks ago. An invitation to CUSA was in hand contingent upon the visit. The visit more than confirmed that UD checked all the boxes.
I believe the announcement would have occurred soon if not today whether or not info was leaked.
RalphD58
UD Class: 1998

Post by RalphD58 »

hensfan40yrs wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:41 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:24 pmThat was very good, now let’s get rid of Woody Wood Pecker and put Dick the Chicken everywhere
Agree, AKC needs to come back!
The whole athletic program needs to rebranded in a major way. Redesign the logo should be the first item on the list. YouDee is a great mascot and a fine ambassador for Delaware Athletics, his head shouldn't be the face of the program.

Football needs one or two alternate helmets. White helmets w/ blue or gold wings and maybe gold helmets with blue wings. They'd look awesome, the players would love it and it'd be another step away from being Michigan Lite.

Those are the top two things on my list! ☺
hensfan40yrs

Post by hensfan40yrs »

RalphD58 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:34 pm
hensfan40yrs wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:41 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:24 pmThat was very good, now let’s get rid of Woody Wood Pecker and put Dick the Chicken everywhere
Agree, AKC needs to come back!
The whole athletic program needs to rebranded in a major way. Redesign the logo should be the first item on the list. YouDee is a great mascot and a fine ambassador for Delaware Athletics, his head shouldn't be the face of the program.

Football needs one or two alternate helmets. White helmets w/ blue or gold wings and maybe gold helmets with blue wings. They'd look awesome, the players would love it and it'd be another step away from being Michigan Lite.

Those are the top two things on my list! ☺
Not to nitpick but I am, not a fan of the italic numbers either. square or rounded are fine. but Im old sooo
Los Angeles Harballers
93BlueHen
UD Class: 1993

Post by 93BlueHen »

mpwerrell wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:28 pm
CUSA Commissioner and others visited UD campus about two weeks ago. An invitation to CUSA was in hand contingent upon the visit.
Thank God PHL didn't lose Judy MacLeod's luggage like they do everyone else's.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
RalphD58

Post by RalphD58 »

hensfan40yrs wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:39 pmNot to nitpick but I am, not a fan of the italic numbers either. square or rounded are fine. but Im old sooo
I agree 100%. Basic collegiate numbers, lose the Delaware across the chest and the YouDee head on the pants. A clean look with multiple uniform combinations would be my ideal uniform.
mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

Was there any questions or discussion about where UD's other sports that Conference USA doesn't sponsor are landing?
bluehens2005
UD Class: 2005

Post by bluehens2005 »

mainejeff wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:58 pm Was there any questions or discussion about where UD's other sports that Conference USA doesn't sponsor are landing?
More info to come soon, maybe next week when they announce the new women’s varsity sport
Perhaps
RalphD58

Post by RalphD58 »

bluehens2005 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:59 pm
mainejeff wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:58 pm Was there any questions or discussion about where UD's other sports that Conference USA doesn't sponsor are landing?
More info to come soon, maybe next week when they announce the new women’s varsity sport
Perhaps
It'd be great if field hockey and both lacrosse programs got invited to play in the ACC. Not sure of the ACC rules on that.
Housthen18
UD Class: 2018

Post by Housthen18 »

RalphD58 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:01 pm
Perhaps
It'd be great if field hockey and both lacrosse programs got invited to play in the ACC. Not sure of the ACC rules on that.
The ACC has no affiliate members, only 15 full members and 3 slated to join. It's also very, very selective at who gets in - SMU had to buy its way in, agreeing to forego media revenue entirely for 9 years, creating a pot of extra money to be distributed to other schools. SMU secured $200 million in funding from boosters to keep its athletic department funded while it receives no revenue.
Big R
UD Class: 1975

Post by Big R »

Questions I submitted for GoHens in response to an email I received yesterday from Nick LaMarca (Senior Associate Athletic Director, External Relations Intercollegiate Athletics and Recreation Services). I did not hear any of these asked during the press conference, but am hoping to get at least some answered separately.

Nick,

Thanks for the email. Unfortunately, with the short notice, and living two hours away, I will be unable to make the press conference, but I do have several questions:

1. The first is in regards to the 2024 football schedule. In the release it states: “In the 2024 season, football will have an FCS schedule that will be announced in the coming months.”

In the statement I received from CAA Commissioner Joe D’Antonio, it says:
“Delaware will compete in the CAA Football Conference during the 2024 season, but pursuant to NCAA bylaws will not be able to participate in the FCS playoffs as it transitions to the FBS level. Games involving Delaware will count in the CAA Football Conference standings.”

Is there any conflict in these statements? Do you expect that we will just allow the CAA to include UD in their regular scheduling process, or are we free to come up with whatever schedule we want and have them fill in around it?

In a similar vein, does our move to FBS affect, or, possibly, invalidate any contracts we have for future games with FBS schools who intentionally schedule FCS schools (Penn State, for example)?

2. How do you anticipate that this will impact the fundraising efforts for the new field house and expanded north end zone renovations? Are there any potential donors lined up whose commitments are predicated on this move?

And, what is the anticipated timeline for making a formal announcement about that project?

3. There are a myriad of questions about how to move the football team through the process of transitioning from 63 football scholarship equivalencies to 85 full scholarships. Obviously a number of other schools have made a similar move recently - have we been in contact with any of them (or do we plan to contact them) about the approach each took in that process and lessons learned?

4. Does this move affect scholarship levels for any other sports besides football?

5. And, finally, do you anticipate that this will impact the long-standing football rivalry that we have had with Villanova?

Thanks much - exciting times!

Rich B.
Media rep - GoHens.net
Mickey to Rocky about SPEED - https://youtu.be/N0GdQyIm7DU
RalphD58

Post by RalphD58 »

Housthen18 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:12 pm
RalphD58 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:01 pm

Perhaps
The ACC has no affiliate members, only 15 full members and 3 slated to join. It's also very, very selective at who gets in - SMU had to buy its way in, agreeing to forego media revenue entirely for 9 years, creating a pot of extra money to be distributed to other schools. SMU secured $200 million in funding from boosters to keep its athletic department funded while it receives no revenue.
Well, that's off the table 😂 It's ironic that SMU is relevant again after getting the death penalty for paying their players peanuts compared to what kids are getting today through NIL.
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

93BlueHen wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:40 pmThank God PHL didn't lose Judy MacLeod's luggage like they do everyone else's.
Quote of the day!!! :lol:

I presume she might have had that official invitation letter in her carry on.
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

Big R wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:21 pm Questions I submitted for GoHens in response to an email I received yesterday from Nick LaMarca (Senior Associate Athletic Director, External Relations Intercollegiate Athletics and Recreation Services).

3. There are a myriad of questions about how to move the football team through the process of transitioning from 63 football scholarship equivalencies to 85 full scholarships. Obviously a number of other schools have made a similar move recently - have we been in contact with any of them (or do we plan to contact them) about the approach each took in that process and lessons learned?

5. And, finally, do you anticipate that this will impact the long-standing football rivalry that we have had with Villanova?
AD Rawak said they studied recent moves of others extensively. Clearly, they concluded it was best to join a conference and not go independent. But your question is how to manage the increase in scholarships, eh?

I suppose we could schedule NOVA as an OOC foe but do we want to? Temple never would schedule us. Read between my lines.
Big R
UD Class: 1975

Post by Big R »

She also said that we had committed to the CAA that we will only use 63.5 scholarship equivalency players when we play CAA foes. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Mickey to Rocky about SPEED - https://youtu.be/N0GdQyIm7DU