2024 Schedule

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
93BlueHen
UD Class: 1993

Re: 2024 Schedule

Post by 93BlueHen »

bluehens2005 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:19 pm
93BlueHen wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:36 am I finally got around to re-upping my season tickets in Section D today. Just to clarify and/or confirm a couple of points mentioned previously in this thread:

1. The total price of season tickets increased this year.
2. The per-game average cost of tickets decreased this year.

My order:

2024, Section D
Season price per seat: $255 (14.9% increase)
Avg price per game: $36.43 (1.5% decrease)

2023, Section D
Season price per seat: $222
Avg price per game: $37.00

I stuck with Hensaver (i.e. Ice Arena) parking this year at $99. I couldn't justify $450 to be 100 feet closer in Blue Champion, where I was in 2022. The value proposition just isn't there. Maybe if I was on oxygen or had a peg leg it would make sense.
The reason for the total increase is because we have 7 home games VS 6 so really was not an increase and we have been promised no increase next year either.
I was just pointing out that there was an increase this year to the total price, as some people were incorrectly saying it stayed the same. I'm thankful that the per-game average price went down ever so slightly in a year with no playoff or bowl ramifications.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Info Hound

Post by Info Hound »

So, a better value. Sorta like buying the larger size at Costco.
#JUST WIN
93BlueHen
UD Class: 1993

Post by 93BlueHen »

Info Hound wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:37 pm So, a better value. Sorta like buying the larger size at Costco.
Because frankly, can you ever really have enough mayonnaise?

https://www.costco.com/hellmann%27s%2C- ... 71260.html
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:54 pmInteresting thoughts from a knowledgeable Chattanooga fan

“I’ll bet we see a bunch of FCS HCs take off for FBS position coaching jobs. As the money starts to flow in those "pay for play" leagues...
This guy's well behind the times. This has been happening for many, many years at the FCS to FBS level. Nothing new under the sun. Most FCS schools pay their HCs peanuts, comparably speaking. Coaches are going to continue chasing the money and opportunities. Loyalty's a completely dead concept in the coaching ranks, and why shouldn't it be? It sure is at many D-I universities. Take the Keeler firing, for example...
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:58 pm
Caribbean Hen wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:54 pmInteresting thoughts from a knowledgeable Chattanooga fan

“I’ll bet we see a bunch of FCS HCs take off for FBS position coaching jobs. As the money starts to flow in those "pay for play" leagues...
This guy's well behind the times. This has been happening for many, many years at the FCS to FBS level. Nothing new under the sun. Most FCS schools pay their HCs peanuts, comparably speaking. Coaches are going to continue chasing the money and opportunities. Loyalty's a completely dead concept in the coaching ranks, and why shouldn't it be? It sure is at many D-I universities. Take the Keeler firing, for example...
I think he covered your basic point in his post, but he went on to say what would be considered a head scratcher in the past would just be normal going forward … just another day

The Mercer coach bolting for Navy was a head scratcher for those Southern Conference fans and he’s basically saying the FCS coaching carousel is going to get even worse

Different subject
I “heard” the 5 Million dollar fee to get into FBS was partly put in place to control the whispers of a mutiny so to speak, like too many FCS schools expressing interest in going FBS and somebody at the NCAA thinks FBS has enough teams right now.. Not enough room at the Inn
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
jd of de

Post by jd of de »

I will never believe that the NCAA will do what makes sense in the short term, but eventually Chip Kelly has nailed where college football will end up. I might not live to see it, but IMO the NCAA will have to end up here. https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/39132310
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

jd of de wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:36 am I will never believe that the NCAA will do what makes sense in the short term, but eventually Chip Kelly has nailed where college football will end up. I might not live to see it, but IMO the NCAA will have to end up here. https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/39132310
Thanks for sharing that. Chip's exactly right on all counts.

I've long thought that football should be its own thing, given the amount of money and resources involved compared with other sports...and I'm about $4.98 short of being a $5 genius. Schools have to develop their athletic philosophy around football now, which limits what they can and can't do with other sports and adds huge costs with travel. It just makes no sense at all. There may be MORE opportunities to sponsor sports if football was taken out of the equation and set up as a separate venture. The legalities and Title IX implications would be challenges but not insurmountable.
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:08 amI think he covered your basic point in his post, but he went on to say what would be considered a head scratcher in the past would just be normal going forward … just another day

The Mercer coach bolting for Navy was a head scratcher for those Southern Conference fans and he’s basically saying the FCS coaching carousel is going to get even worse

Different subject
I “heard” the 5 Million dollar fee to get into FBS was partly put in place to control the whispers of a mutiny so to speak, like too many FCS schools expressing interest in going FBS and somebody at the NCAA thinks FBS has enough teams right now.. Not enough room at the Inn
Thanks for that.

Agree with the sentiment. I guess where I'd slightly disagree is that I don't think it will happen on a mass scale - not much more than in the recent past.

Also agree about the increased exit fee being imposed for "mutiny control". Some FCS conferences like the CAA supported the increased fee (to UD's dismay) for that EXACT reason. FBS conferences and schools simply don't like the idea of slicing the post-season pie with additional schools. I get why both would support the increase.
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

jd of de wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:36 am I will never believe that the NCAA will do what makes sense in the short term, but eventually Chip Kelly has nailed where college football will end up. I might not live to see it, but IMO the NCAA will have to end up here. https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/39132310
Wow Chip making alot of sense with his well thought out options. Let it rip
Henny
UD Class: 1985

Post by Henny »

HENJOHN wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:23 am
Wow Chip making alot of sense with his well thought out options. Let it rip
Chip has always been an out of the box kind of guy but he has a point. Something needs to be done and soon!

I fear for the future of college football the way it's going but as long as the Hens are playing, I'll be there!
Proud to be a F*king Blue Hen :D
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:14 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:08 amI think he covered your basic point in his post, but he went on to say what would be considered a head scratcher in the past would just be normal going forward … just another day

Different subject
Thanks for that.

Agree with the sentiment. I guess where I'd slightly disagree is that I don't think it will happen on a mass scale - not much more than in the recent past.

Also agree about the increased exit fee being imposed for "mutiny control". Some FCS conferences like the CAA supported the increased fee (to UD's dismay) for that EXACT reason. FBS conferences and schools simply don't like the idea of slicing the post-season pie with additional schools. I get why both would support the increase.
Oh I agree that that it’s probably not going to happen on mass scale. I’ve seen several people comment that the money well will eventually dry up for G5 teams as well… sour grapes or sound reason? I don’t know

Right, it seems no other CAA team is even rumored for moving up to FBS, the rumors are mostly the Patriot league sucking up William & Mary, Richmond and Villanova
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
Baltimore Hen
UD Class: 0

Post by Baltimore Hen »

NCAA: Mr Kelly, that is a lucid, well though-out, intelligent solution...
Chip Kelly: Thank You
NCAA: Overruled
jd of de

Post by jd of de »

Baltimore Hen wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:12 am
NCAA: Mr Kelly, that is a lucid, well though-out, intelligent solution...
Chip Kelly: Thank You
NCAA: Overruled
Yep, it’s makes far too much sense for the NCAA to adopt such a rational solution. Until they are taken to court or the threat is held over them, this insanity will be the norm.
Hens79

Post by Hens79 »

Something will be done because it has to be alignment and regulation wise. There is just too much chaos now. Football separating could certainly be one of the changes. Revenue sharing and paying the players will almost definitely happen.
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

So, if football separates, then what happens to the other sports?

Does anyone actually think the men’s basketball players would not want to be paid similarly to the football players? And what happens to women’s basketball if the men get paid? Will other players from other sports sue to get a part of the revenue (why shouldn’t lacrosse players get paid…can’t say it is because of popularity as those lacrosse attendance numbers rivaled some women’s b-ball attendance)?

Separating football seems like a good idea if one is looking at it from a football only perspective…and not a collegiate sports perspective. It is going to be hard to separate professionally paid STUDENT athletes from the other STUDENT athletes. Will the Stanfords and Virginias of the world actually admit that their football team is not about STUDENT athletes?

It is going to get very messy.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!