2024 Schedule

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Re: 2024 Schedule

Post by Cluck U »

Attila the Hen wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:10 pm
mainejeff wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:47 am Why don't you buy Maine's game at Oklahoma on Nov.2? We'll sell it to you for $735K ($635 buy + $100K finders fee). Then you'll have a premiere FBS game on your schedule. :D
With $200M of athletic donations, why is Maine selling themselves to OU for a beatdown?
Exposure. Maine hopes to get some publicity in Okie. Maybe Maine can attract a few of those farm boys to help them win the NEC crown in the future.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
UD '01 grad
UD Class: 2001

Post by UD '01 grad »

Maine defeated Mississippi State in Starkville some years back.

Stranger things have happened.

Miracle on Ice, Utah Tech visiting Newark, etc.
93BlueHen
UD Class: 1993

Post by 93BlueHen »

Virginia Tech rumored to be about to cancel their remaining eight games with Old Dominion: https://odumonarchists.com/2024/01/11/r ... ll-series/

The FSU snub has the ACC pushing for no away games at G5s. They don't want any questions about strength of schedule moving forward as they cling to slot 4 in the P4 and try to keep their conference together. They're also trying to move to nine conference games on the schedule from eight, to squeeze more TV revenue from their much-maligned TV deal.

VT and ODU are scheduled (for now) to play on Sep 14, 2024, the same day as UD @ NC A&T. The article erroneously says we have an open date.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
jd of de

Post by jd of de »

All the P4s will soon have 9 conference games IMO, and at least 1 game dictated by the broadcast partner, if not 2. The broadcast partners need power matchups, not payday games to recoup their money.
dchen
UD Class: 1972

Post by dchen »

93BlueHen wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:29 pm Virginia Tech rumored to be about to cancel their remaining eight games with Old Dominion: https://odumonarchists.com/2024/01/11/r ... ll-series/

The FSU snub has the ACC pushing for no away games at G5s. They don't want any questions about strength of schedule moving forward as they cling to slot 4 in the P4 and try to keep their conference together. They're also trying to move to nine conference games on the schedule from eight, to squeeze more TV revenue from their much-maligned TV deal.

VT and ODU are scheduled (for now) to play on Sep 14, 2024, the same day as UD @ NC A&T. The article erroneously says we have an open date.
From the article, I don't get this sentence. Why would a weakened SOS increase the chances of getting into a bowl game?

However, do not count out Delaware who will transition to FBS and join CUSA next season. The Blue Hens are currently available on September 14th. Regardless which team it is, the addition of an FCS team will substantially weaken ODU’s strength of schedule and increase its chances for a bowl game.
93BlueHen

Post by 93BlueHen »

dchen wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:46 pm
93BlueHen wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:29 pm Virginia Tech rumored to be about to cancel their remaining eight games with Old Dominion: https://odumonarchists.com/2024/01/11/r ... ll-series/

From the article, I don't get this sentence. Why would a weakened SOS increase the chances of getting into a bowl game?

However, do not count out Delaware who will transition to FBS and join CUSA next season. The Blue Hens are currently available on September 14th. Regardless which team it is, the addition of an FCS team will substantially weaken ODU’s strength of schedule and increase its chances for a bowl game.
Pretty simple. Delaware instead of Virginia Tech on their schedule would give them a higher likelihood of six wins.
HensRock
Site Admin
UD Class: 1985

Post by HensRock »

I have updated our Schedule on GoHens.
Took my best guess at times.
Be careful of the words you say,
keep them soft and sweet.
You never know from day to day
which ones you'll have to eat!
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

93BlueHen wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:05 pm
dchen wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:46 pm

Pretty simple. Delaware instead of Virginia Tech on their schedule would give them a higher likelihood of six wins.
Little do the pundits know…Carty will have us in the Top 25 by August of this year.

Fear the Bird!!!
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

mainejeff wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:47 am Why don't you buy Maine's game at Oklahoma on Nov.2? We'll sell it to you for $735K ($635 buy + $100K finders fee). Then you'll have a premiere FBS game on your schedule. :D
With $200M of athletic donations, why is Maine selling themselves to OU for a beatdown?
Good question. I don't like this game at all....not in our current state.
mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

Cluck U wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:21 pm
Exposure. Maine hopes to get some publicity in Okie. Maybe Maine can attract a few of those farm boys to help them win the NEC crown in the future.
Ha! You mean America East Football? :wink:
93BlueHen

Post by 93BlueHen »

I finally got around to re-upping my season tickets in Section D today. Just to clarify and/or confirm a couple of points mentioned previously in this thread:

1. The total price of season tickets increased this year.
2. The per-game average cost of tickets decreased this year.

My order:

2024, Section D
Season price per seat: $255 (14.9% increase)
Avg price per game: $36.43 (1.5% decrease)

2023, Section D
Season price per seat: $222
Avg price per game: $37.00

I stuck with Hensaver (i.e. Ice Arena) parking this year at $99. I couldn't justify $450 to be 100 feet closer in Blue Champion, where I was in 2022. The value proposition just isn't there. Maybe if I was on oxygen or had a peg leg it would make sense.
bluehens2005
UD Class: 2005

Post by bluehens2005 »

93BlueHen wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:36 am I finally got around to re-upping my season tickets in Section D today. Just to clarify and/or confirm a couple of points mentioned previously in this thread:

1. The total price of season tickets increased this year.
2. The per-game average cost of tickets decreased this year.

My order:

2024, Section D
Season price per seat: $255 (14.9% increase)
Avg price per game: $36.43 (1.5% decrease)

2023, Section D
Season price per seat: $222
Avg price per game: $37.00

I stuck with Hensaver (i.e. Ice Arena) parking this year at $99. I couldn't justify $450 to be 100 feet closer in Blue Champion, where I was in 2022. The value proposition just isn't there. Maybe if I was on oxygen or had a peg leg it would make sense.
The reason for the total increase is because we have 7 home games VS 6 so really was not an increase and we have been promised no increase next year either.
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

hensfan40yrs wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:22 pm
Caribbean Hen wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:14 pm Cronic Resigns As Mercer Football Head Coach

MACON – Athletics department officials at Mercer University announced Tuesday evening that Drew Cronic has resigned his position as football head coach to assume the offensive coordinator role with the Navy Midshipmen. A national search will begin immediately to identify Cronic's successor at MU.

It seems like more than one FCS head coach has resigned to take FBS coordinator job

Less current environment responsibility with more pay
no more coaching or playing at your dream schools, $$ cancels out loyalty
Interesting thoughts from a knowledgeable Chattanooga fan

“I’ll bet we see a bunch of FCS HCs take off for FBS position coaching jobs. As the money starts to flow in those "pay for play" leagues, the funds for thhe lessers...FCS and G5/6/7(wherever that one actually lands)...will dry up and these guys know, in order to actually make a decent living, they have to get those teams. What would have been a head scratcher in the past will now become normal. You will see very successful FCS guys move on to position coaching spots at the Big boys. Shoot, it won't be long until the non-field positions (like DFO) at a B1G or SEC school will pay more than a SoCon/CAA/Valley HC gig! It has been impacting FCS coaches for years...but it is about to get much worse!!!!

Gone are the days of a good FCS coach staying at a school for 10+ years...no more Jerry Moores or Mike Ayers out there....the entire purpose of taking a coaching position is to build a step to the next/bigger/better coaching position....Loyalty is a one way street!”
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
Info Hound

Post by Info Hound »

Hard to understand why anyone would want to change employers for a higher financial reward.
#JUST WIN
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Info Hound wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:06 pm Hard to understand why anyone would want to change employers for a higher financial reward.
I mostly agree unless they wanted you to go to Kazakhstan or some place like it
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019