It's all about winning

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Info Hound

Re: It's all about winning

Post by Info Hound »

Another local sports writer, John Buzby of the Newark Post, was negative on the move.

One of his concerns, was that he was looking forward to taking his wife to Williamsburg for a long weekend, when he retired. He did not realize that with the new additions to the CAA, we would likely be playing W&M once every four years, which means once every eight years, away in VA.
#JUST WIN
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

Mr. Buzby is free to travel to Colonial Disney as frequently as he wishes, irrespective of UD’s sports conference affiliation or football schedule. What silly rationale he poses.

As you clearly stated, Mr. Info, Delaware had little choice but to make a move out of the CAA. If the landscape hadn’t changed so dramatically around them, there’s little reason to think the Hullihens would have been persuaded to change course. Of course it was the right thing to do, even if it came a couple decades too late.

I’m excited and confident for the future.
RalphD58
UD Class: 1998

Post by RalphD58 »

Could'a... Would'a... Should'a... It is what it is now and C-USA is where it's at.

Like Info Hound said, the current path was "unsustainable" and I'd add "embarrassing". People would ask me who Delaware was playing and I almost didn't want to tell them. Go Hens!
Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 »

Info Hound wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:44 pm The simple fact of the matter is, that we could not continue on the current path:

Bryant
Campbell
Hampton
NC A&T
Monmouth

OOC:
Duquesne
Sacred Heart
LIU
St. Francis
DSU (A) twice!
Blood baths at PSU, undermanned and paid peanuts

FLO

That's a few things, off the top of my head.......

"Unsustainable" is the word that comes to mind.
This is so undeniable. But we have some here that still deny it. And they aren’t quiet about. Simply mind numbing.

From talking to quite a few folks, the small percentage of folks against the move, both the nevers and the not nowers, are almost totally 60-70 somethings. I haven’t met anyone under 40 that doesn’t support the move.

It just had to be done. Exciting times ahead.
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

The Delaware students are excited. The move has gotten their attention.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
jd of de

Post by jd of de »

Lost Williamsburg . Lost Buies Creek too. And the hellhole in Radnor and the high school bleachers of Albany.

Gained Atlanta, Miami and Nashville.

Maybe the Misses would enjoy South Beach or the Grand Old Opry.
93BlueHen
UD Class: 1993

Post by 93BlueHen »

I've never understood the allure of Williamsburg. There are colonial (er, I mean coastal) history and buildings much closer.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

93BlueHen wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:49 pm I've never understood the allure of Williamsburg. There are colonial (er, I mean coastal) history and buildings much closer.
It's nothing more than an idealized 1920s' version of a colonial American town. It's fine if you're there for the entertainment and otherwise enjoy the fake quaintness. Thank goodness the DuPonts didn't do to New Castle what Rockefeller did to the real Williamsburg town.

There's actual history interpreted properly over in Jamestown and Yorktown, both of which are remarkable and worth repeated visits.
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

93BlueHen wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:49 pm I've never understood the allure of Williamsburg. There are colonial (er, I mean coastal) history and buildings much closer.
It is a jack of all trades area. Bush Gardens and a water park are very close nearby. One could do the triple header tourist gig over a weekend.
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS

wildman
UD Class: 1978

Post by wildman »

Cluck U wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:07 am UMass…2003, was 8-1 in conference and 10-2 overall in the regular season. Only losses were to FBS Kansas State and to KC Keeler’s Delaware Blue Hens.
The same UMass who felt that they got jobbed out of a home 1st round playoff game because they had to take a bus trip in a snow storm to get thumped by the Colgate team that we thrashed 40-0. :)
249*
Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hengrad07 »

jd of de wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:23 pm Lost Williamsburg . Lost Buies Creek too. And the hellhole in Radnor and the high school bleachers of Albany.

Don't forget Huntsville. I hear good fishing
#JustWinBaby
Baltimore Hen

Post by Baltimore Hen »

I don't really get the UMass and UConn comparisons... Yes, they were conference mates, but that's about it. New England/the north east has NEVER been known for high quality college football AND both of those schools are firmly entrenched as BASKETBALL schools. That is what butters their athletic bread. Umass fumbled out of the gate with their foxborough plan as well and UConn chose to play their games 30 minutes away in Hartford. Delaware is much closer to where football talent starts to build...Pennsylvania on south....we are a football school and have an on campus stadium that will be further invested in in the near future, we have a strong football history and this move should wake up the football alumni base if they weren't already, we have a strong history of Pros for an FCS school and names like Gannon and Flacco will certainly ring a bell for prospective recruits....esppecially with Flaccos recent resurgence...I just don't see the sense in even entertaining the moves of Uconn and Umass as something to compare UDs move to. I'd look more to ODU, JMU, GA State, etc as schools that have done the move somewhat right...ALL former conference mates, and ALL played in a bowl game this year....
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Hengrad07 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:30 am
jd of de wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:23 pm Lost Williamsburg . Lost Buies Creek too. And the hellhole in Radnor and the high school bleachers of Albany.

Don't forget Huntsville. I hear good fishing
Speaking of fishing…

Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

wildman wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:17 am
Cluck U wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:07 am UMass…2003, was 8-1 in conference and 10-2 overall in the regular season. Only losses were to FBS Kansas State and to KC Keeler’s Delaware Blue Hens.
The same UMass who felt that they got jobbed out of a home 1st round playoff game because they had to take a bus trip in a snow storm to get thumped by the Colgate team that we thrashed 40-0. :)
Well, they lost to Colgate…but UMass took us to 3 OTs. If I recall, didn’t UMass get stuck on their bus and didn’t arrive at the game until just before kickoff? In any case, looks as though UMass had the stars edge but just couldn’t put together the victory.