CFP Approves 5+7 Playoff Format

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Baltimore Hen
UD Class: 0

Re: CFP Approves 5+7 Playoff Format

Post by Baltimore Hen »

hensfan40yrs wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:41 pm
finpxz1 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:42 pm This is Big Boy football and not the FCS playoffs. There is way too much money involved to turn the BCS playoffs into an “everyone gets a chance” tournament. The fact that the G5 schools even get one seat at the adults table is a great thing. Don’t hold your breath for a 9-conference automatic qualifier format anytime soon.
I know it will never come to that and college football is a whole different animal than college basketball, just enjoyable watching the last teams in sometimes upsetting the Blue Bloods
you dont need more than a 12 team format. college football is a totally different animal than college basketball. The top teams are not going to lose to the auto qualifiers from G5 etc. they just aren't, and it won't even be close. Anything more than 12 teams is wasted time.....the only real solution would be the P4 become totally independent and have their own post season party, then the G5 has their own post season party. Let's be realistic and acknowledge that the G5 is now 1-AA and FCS is D2 etc....
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Baltimore Hen wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:37 pm
finpxz1 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:42 pm This is Big Boy football and not the FCS playoffs. There is way too much money involved to turn the BCS playoffs into an “everyone gets a chance” tournament. The fact that the G5 schools even get one seat at the adults table is a great thing. Don’t hold your breath for a 9-conference automatic qualifier format anytime soon.
I know it will never come to that and college football is a whole different animal than college basketball, just enjoyable watching the last teams in sometimes upsetting the Blue Bloods
you dont need more than a 12 team format. college football is a totally different animal than college basketball. The top teams are not going to lose to the auto qualifiers from G5 etc. they just aren't, and it won't even be close. Anything more than 12 teams is wasted time.....the only real solution would be the P4 become totally independent and have their own post season party, then the G5 has their own post season party. Let's be realistic and acknowledge that the G5 is now 1-AA and FCS is D2 etc....
TCU, just last year, was a 200-1 underdog…yet they beat mighty Michigan in the 4-team playoff. Plenty of people said the Horned Frogs didn’t belong in the playoffs…and when they got destroyed by Georgia, folks said that was proof. :roll: But…they beat a top 3 team…so how were they not worthy?

Yup, TCU was a Big 12 team…but they pulled off the huge upset. G5 teams might not beat the national champions, but every once in a while, they will have a shot at beating the other “worthy” playoff teams…just as we hope the 15 seeds beat the 2 seeds in March Madness.

Heck, Appy, JMU…and a couple other FCS teams pulled off wins against ranked FBS teams, so why would anyone think that a good G5 team would not be able to pull of an playoff upset?

It will happen…just a matter of time.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

Keep the dream alive Cluck…I don’t see an all inclusive BCS playoff happening anytime soon, but wouldn’t be the first time I was wrong.
Brookside kid hen
UD Class: 1987

Post by Brookside kid hen »

Baltimore Hen is 100% correct, the big boys are going to take their ball and go play amongst themselves, not sharing that money in a million years. I'm glad and sad about the move up, but in all honesty it was a sideways move to keep us in that area that we keep up with our former contemporaries like JMU. The power 4 conferences, really the Big Two conferences, are going to dictate the future of college football. Better to be in the 2nd level than stuck where we were in what's going to be the new 3rd level in FCS. Maybe the big boys throw crumbs to one G5 team each year as a sacrificial lamb, but the rest of the group deserves their own chance in a playoff system, and I think that's what will end up happening, sooner than later probably.
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

finpxz1 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:04 pm Keep the dream alive Cluck…I don’t see an all inclusive BCS playoff happening anytime soon, but wouldn’t be the first time I was wrong.
I’m always the optimist…and, uh, accounting for greed is a good bet. :lol:

It might take time, but one thing has been proven over time…more participants in a popular “thing” = more money to be made.

How many playoff football/baseball games are played each season? The numbers haven’t been shrinking, that’s for sure.

The existing big-time college teams want to keep more of the collective’s current pot of money, but once that settles out, they will want to add more fans into the arena(s) so that they can bring in even more money.

Market it, and they will come. :D
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS

RalphD58
UD Class: 1998

Post by RalphD58 »

They should set up a system like European soccer with promotion and relegation. If the G5 eventually does their own playoff, the four semifinalists get promoted to the P-Whatever and the four worst teams from the PW get relegated to the G5. I know it won't happen, but I think that'd be cool.
UDPat

Post by UDPat »

RalphD58 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:30 pm They should set up a system like European soccer with promotion and relegation. If the G5 eventually does their own playoff, the four semifinalists get promoted to the P-Whatever and the four worst teams from the PW get relegated to the G5. I know it won't happen, but I think that'd be cool.
That system is GREAT!!!!! It's why I have kind of started watching some.

Around 2010 Luton Town was in the 5th division. It may only last one season but they earned promotion to the Premier League for 2023/24. That is cool.

It would never happen but imagine the Blue Rocks playing the Yankees in the same league.
When it comes to Basketball, "I'm smarter than you and you know it"!! :twisted:
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Heck, they could probably make a TV series out of a story like that.

Wonder if Jason Sudeikis would be available? Football coach to futball coach to football coach.

Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

RalphD58 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:30 pmThey should set up a system like European soccer with promotion and relegation.
Boise State's AD drew up a promotion/relegation proposal last year. Don't think it will get anywhere, but at least someone's thinking about it.

https://frontofficesports.com/first-pro ... -football/
RalphD58
UD Class: 1998

Post by RalphD58 »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:38 pm
RalphD58 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:30 pmThey should set up a system like European soccer with promotion and relegation.
Boise State's AD drew up a promotion/relegation proposal last year. Don't think it will get anywhere, but at least someone's thinking about it.

https://frontofficesports.com/first-pro ... -football/
That's cool. It won't happen because it's not about football, it's about $$$ and no one wants to share or lose out on a payday especially when their team is subpar.
HenMan27
UD Class: 2009

Post by HenMan27 »

Cluck U wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:05 pm
TCU, just last year, was a 200-1 underdog…yet they beat mighty Michigan in the 4-team playoff. Plenty of people said the Horned Frogs didn’t belong in the playoffs…and when they got destroyed by Georgia, folks said that was proof. :roll: But…they beat a top 3 team…so how were they not worthy?

Yup, TCU was a Big 12 team…but they pulled off the huge upset. G5 teams might not beat the national champions, but every once in a while, they will have a shot at beating the other “worthy” playoff teams…just as we hope the 15 seeds beat the 2 seeds in March Madness.

Heck, Appy, JMU…and a couple other FCS teams pulled off wins against ranked FBS teams, so why would anyone think that a good G5 team would not be able to pull of an playoff upset?

I like your positive thinking but I just don't see it. I have season tickets to a Big 12 program and the top Big 12 programs have had trouble keeping up with the top SEC/B1G. Look at what happened to Cincy against Alabama. Compare the Big 12 recruiting to the SEC on the rankings and the NIL is just further widening the gap.

Also take a look at TCU's recruits versus C-USA recruits. Delaware will never be on that level of recruitting... My hope is somehow Delaware could compare to TCU/Boise St when they were in the Mountain West (I believe that is their ceiling). Either way, exciting changes and I'm looking forward to being able to watch more Delaware Football on my TV and cheering for them against all the blue bloods.
hensfan40yrs

Post by hensfan40yrs »

HenMan27 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:17 pm
Cluck U wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:05 pm

I like your positive thinking but I just don't see it. I have season tickets to a Big 12 program and the top Big 12 programs have had trouble keeping up with the top SEC/B1G. Look at what happened to Cincy against Alabama. Compare the Big 12 recruiting to the SEC on the rankings and the NIL is just further widening the gap.

Also take a look at TCU's recruits versus C-USA recruits. Delaware will never be on that level of recruitting... My hope is somehow Delaware could compare to TCU/Boise St when they were in the Mountain West (I believe that is their ceiling). Either way, exciting changes and I'm looking forward to being able to watch more Delaware Football on my TV and cheering for them against all the blue bloods.
This is a logical post, recruiting around here (Delaware) is going to be tough with already established schools like Maryland, Pitt, Penn State, Rutgers, WVU etc being in our back yard. NIL money is what draws the elite athletes these days. Any "given saturday" is getting tougher yearly.
Still excited about the future, but facts are facts.
Los Angeles Harballers
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

On the subject of recruiting, I’ve seen some stories reporting that the pool of HS football players is not growing but continues to shrink over the past few decades. Just slightly less kids playing HS football today than decades past

Meanwhile, the number of teams moving up to FBS continues to grow, how will all these FBS teams continue to get FBS type players? So far I think the answer is they’re getting them from FCS teams

It is widely accepted that the talent level of FCS has taken hit, just not what it was.

But where is the tipping point where 2024 FBS G5 recruits start looking a lot like 2008 CAA recruits…
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:28 am On the subject of recruiting, I’ve seen some stories reporting that the pool of HS football players is not growing but continues to shrink over the past few decades. Just slightly less kids playing HS football today than decades past

Meanwhile, the number of teams moving up to FBS continues to grow, how will all these FBS teams continue to get FBS type players? So far I think the answer is they’re getting them from FCS teams

It is widely accepted that the talent level of FCS has taken hit, just not what it was.

But where is the tipping point where 2024 FBS G5 recruits start looking a lot like 2008 CAA recruits…
Many stories about football going the way of boxing and horse racing. Expensive sport, injuries, lawsuits, deaths, concussions that lead to impairment for life…plenty of reasons to ditch football. But, the NFL money machine and others won’t let it die (at least for quite some time).

Can’t believe Newark Charter wants to add football. Gosh, the new stadium had goal posts installed…and THEN they took a vote about starting football? :lol: :lol: The Delaware way.

jd of de

Post by jd of de »

The first game under the new format hasn’t even been played, and discussions are underway to change it.
https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-cfp-ci ... 54030.html