JMU athletics

Discussion of Other Blue Hen Sports and Blue Hen Athletics in General
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Athletics to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
dovetail
UD Class: 1966

JMU athletics

Post by dovetail »

Transition, we should find out how they did it. If there was ever a college program that transitioned to a higher profile, it is JMU.
BlueHenBill

Re: JMU athletics

Post by BlueHenBill »

dovetail wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:16 am Transition, we should find out how they did it. If there was ever a college program that transitioned to a higher profile, it is JMU.
True, but based on the performance of both JMU & UD 's athletic teams JMU Athletics was in a better position before JMU made their transition to FBS than UD Athletics was and is now.
UDDave
UD Class: 1994

Post by UDDave »

bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk »

JMU also has the Duke Club which is their fundraising arm - does anyone know how much the UDAF generates?
UD to FBS. I never thought I’d see the day
dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail »

The last time I remember looking, does UD now have a student athletic fee?
BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill »

dovetail wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:35 am The last time I remember looking, does UD now have a student athletic fee?
I believe the answer is no. I believe that there was (is?) a relatively small athletic fee that was imposed to help pay for the addition of the practice Basketball courts to the Bob because they are supposed to be available for student use when UD's Basketball teams aren't using them.
BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill »

While JMU's total endowment is still probaby small in comparison to UD's endowment, it wouldn't surprise me if the dollars and/or percentage restricted to athletics at JMU is significantly larger. UD's endowment dedicated to athletics is probably smaller both in dollars and percentage than that at most FCS and FBS colleges . See for example W & M. Apparently UD has a much smaller share of alums who donate funds restricted to Athletics than all or most FBS/FCS colleges.
Last edited by BlueHenBill on Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen »

one potential avenue for generating alumni support for athletics is the hiring of well known and national recognized coaches. By no means does it translate into large donations. Of course winning big in the major sports against well known/highly ranked teams is the prime driver for successful college programs. In this regard our basketball programs would receive a shot in the arm by luring quality respected individuals.
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill »

tenn hen wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:35 pm one potential avenue for generating alumni support for athletics is the hiring of well known and national recognized coaches. By no means does it translate into large donations. Of course winning big in the major sports against well known/highly ranked teams is the prime driver for successful college programs. In this regard our basketball programs would receive a shot in the arm by luring quality respected individuals.
a lot of UD Alums , including some of the most successful financially, didn't care about UD athletics when they were students (even during the glory days under Tubby, Keeler, when Delle Donne played, Field Hockey success, Steinwedel, Brey, Hannah, Shillinglaw, etc.) and don;t care about UD athletics as alums. many of them are generous in their financial support of UD, but give little or nothing to UD Athletics.